Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair holes in internal walls (plaster on masonry)?

DanielW
Finding My Feet

How to repair holes in internal walls (plaster on masonry)?

Hi all,

Want to preface this by saying I am very new to the whole DIY thing. 

A while ago we had our multiple split systems replaced with a ducted system. I've started to patch up the holes but am now considering I may not have approached this correctly. For the larger holes I used Earl's All Purpose Multifil over the expanding foam.  Looking at some of the guides on here it looks like mortar and topping compound should have been the way to go.

Would it be best to remove the expanding foam and multifil and patch with mortar and topping compound or will it be ok to just go over with topping compound?

Cheers

329938393_746771999997929_3734546150736457770_n.jpg330316740_492892632992860_3228337695425466475_n.jpg329327377_692507415902720_6269034362369358526_n.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair holes in internal walls (plaster on masonry)?

Hello @DanielW 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about plaster repair.

The Earl's 600g White MulTfill Ready To-Use Filler is actually a very good filler. However, it does dry quite hard which makes it longer to sand down. I suggest leaving the current repairs you've already made, however, when you fill in your other repair spot make sure to keep it as close to the same level as the wall. The filler you are using is non-shrinking and stays at the level that you fill in. 

To increase your sanding speed, I suggest having a look at electrical sanders such as the Ozito 200W Detail Sander. It's a handy little unit and comes with a set of graded sandpaper that will let you finish the job in no time. Start with the lowest number which is either 180 grit or 120 grit. This will eat into the filler and then gradually go up the grit number until 240 to get a good finish.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How To Fix a Hole in the Wall

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric, much appreciated. I'll keep at it with the Earl's Multfill.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DanielW 

Please make sure to post photo updates of your repairs, I'm sure our members will be keen to see your progress.

If you run into any other issues with your repairs, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects