Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair interior door damage?

tashstewy-2219
Finding My Feet

How to repair interior door damage?

Hi I have an interior door that I want to repair and paint. It’s been damaged but has this fluff material on the inside of the panel. Is there a material i can use to cover that before priming? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

image.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to repair interior door damage?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us @tashstewy-2219.

That looks like a timber veneer to me. The damage is obviously significant and it is going to be very difficult to do an unobtrusive repair. The good news is that internal doors are not typically expensive. Would you consider replacing it? Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be more than happy to recommend possible repair methods but you might also like to share dimensions of the door and also a wider photo showing the whole door and its styling. That way they could also recommend replacement options.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tashstewy-2219 

That fluff material your seeing is part of the compressed timber fibre board of your door. I suggest sanding it down and try to remove as much of the fluff as possible. Once you have it down to a flat manageable surface, I recommend filling it with Parfix 500g Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler. Your goal is to slowly build up the damaged surface until it is at the same original level.

My best advice is to fill only what you need and don't overfill it. Make sure to give the filler enough time to cure properly. Once it has totally cured use a Rocket Fine Sanding Sponge - Fine to finish the surface. Wipe off all the dust and debris before you paint it with a primer.

However, if you decide to replace the door, I suggest looking at the Hume 2040 x 820 x 35mm Internal Door Oak Oakfield HC2 it comes in pre-set sizes which makes it easy to use, it can also be ordered to custom size if you have a non-standard sized door. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the advice, sounds like replacing it might be the best option . 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects