Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair sliding window with snapped handle?

Rinnie
Just Starting Out

How to repair sliding window with snapped handle?

image.jpg

I have snapped the handle off my window and now cannot open the window and it is not obvious how to repair. I’d appreciate any guidance about how to in the first instance open the window and then how to proceed to repair. Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: sliding window cant open after handle snapped

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rinnie. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about opening a window.

Is there a brand on the window or handle? There's a good chance that you'll have to order a new handle from the window manufacturer. Regarding opening the window, you might have to remove the remaining section of the handle. To remove the handle, I'd imagine it is slid onto the side channels of the window, which requires the window to be removed. Does the handle freely side up and down the window frame?

A word of caution that the glass can break exceptionally easily. One small tap and it can shatter. I'd recommend wearing full PPE, including safety glasses, a face mask, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers and enclosed footwear. 

If you are unable to identify the manufacturer for handle replacement, then you might like to enlist the services of a glassier to remove the handle. Once the handle is removed and the window freely slides, you can install a window lock in its place.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects