Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair window winding mechanism?

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

How to repair window winding mechanism?

Hi all,

The mechanism of this window is broken (the winding thingy rotates but does not activate the opening mechanism). I am trying to open it to hopefully fix it.

There are tiny rusty screws underneath that I can't reach with a screwdriver because they are underneath and the angle is not enough.

There are circle thingies on the window itself that I would ideally like to open.

Any help appreciated please!

window 1.JPGwindow 2.JPGwindow 3.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair window winding mechanism?

Hello @Coco_M 

Thanks for sharing your question about your window winding mechanism. It's often not a good sign when the winder fails to operate the chain mechanism. This is an indicator that a gear has been damaged or the winding post has failed. Either way, I'm afraid that it will be difficult to repair as there are no spare parts available. When a window winder breaks down it is usually completely replaced.  

However, if you want to loosen it up, I propose spraying the chain and insides with WD40. Spray directly on the chain and on the insides of the winder with the plastic straw that comes with the can. Hopefully it will be enough to loosen up the rust and allow you to pull the mechanism loose.

The circle bits that you see holding the chain to the window are called blind rivets. These must be drilled out in order to remove them. Please take care when drilling as you don't want to drill too deep and drill through the glass causing it to crack.

I suggest having a look at the window winders available at the store and see which one is compatible with your set. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to install window awning winders.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Thank you @EricL . The idea was to remove the part from a window that I never open to replace it. I will try with WD40. I am not prepared to risk breaking a window!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Coco_M 

If you are unsure about removing the blind rivets, I suggest engaging the services of a handy person or an aluminium window assembler. They should be able to remove the window winder and replace it with a new one.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects