Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace entrance door?

EJR
Getting Established

How to replace entrance door?

G'day,

I'm replacing our front entrance door with a new door of the same dimensions, and intend to keep it as an in-swinging right-handed door (i.e. hinges on the RHS when viewed from the outside) as this'll fit best with the existing out-swinging right-handed security screen door.  My door of choice is a Hume Valcluse XV14 Duracote (solid HMR MDF core) in the standard size (204 cm x 82 cm x 4 cm) with the single routed side facing outwards. 

My question is - Is this model door constructed so that hinges can be attached to either side so the door could be right-handed or left-handed? I need to double check that for the door I'm buying, the routed side will be facing outwards and the (asymmetrical) routed pattern will also be correctly oriented (i.e. longer. rectangles at the top, shorter at the bottom). Otherwise, if this model can only be hinged on one side, would I need to place a special order to make sure it will be facing/oriented correctly? 

Thanks heaps for the advice!

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to replace entrance door?

Hello @EJR,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It's a pleasure having you join us and we hope you find this site a great resource containing useful advice and inspiring ideas for your home improvement and garden projects.

Thank you for your question on replacing your entrance door. I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be able to assist once he's back online tomorrow. In the meantime, let me tag some of our helpful members @Nham@Brad and @Dave-1 to see if they have any thoughts.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @EJR 

I would also like to say welcome to the Bunnings community :smile: That door should be able to be used either way (left and or right hand opening)

I have just redone a screen door and the front of my front door, I have done some exterior doors with help from a carpenter mate :smile: (took away a bunch of stress) Thankfully not a replacment yet tho my internal doors will need to be. @Nham has also done hanging a door to match what was there and I found the project to be very helpful plus the video they mentioned. How to Fit perfect door hinges 

I dont know of doors that can only be mounted one side. I remember going through the process for the external and internal doors to my garage and they could be done either way. 

Dave

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

They can be mounted anyway you want as there is no hinge rebates or door handle/lock holes in the standard door.

Video explains how to fit it much better than a wall of text.

EJR
Getting Established

Thanks Brad, that perfectly answers my query!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @EJR,

It's great to see you've already received an answer from @Brad. I'm just confirming that since it's a solid MDF core door, there are no issues with orientating it whichever way you wish. The handle and hinges can be attached to either side.

Mitchell

EJR
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell! Much appreciated. I know it probably sounded like a dumb question, but less dumb than ending up with an upside down door!  :smile: 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

There are no "dumb" questions here on Workshop @EJR. Everyone has to start somewhere and there's always more to learn. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand. We're here to help.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects