Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace old phone sockets with ethernet cables?

Iwish
Finding My Feet

How to replace old phone sockets with ethernet cables?

I have old Telstra wall sockets in 3 locations of the house. Now that the house is NBN FTTP, I was hoping to remove those sockets and run ethernet cables instead. Would like to get some tips if anyone has done similar in the past. The first challenge is the removal of the old socket - some tips would be appreciated.

wall socket.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace old phone sockets with ethernet cables?

Hi @Iwish,

To disconnect your existing Telstra wall sockets and run the cabling for the new ethernet sockets, I believe you'd need to enlist the services of a professional with a Registered Cabler Licence from the ACMA. 

For setting up your internet, here's a helpful guide on How to set up a cabled network.

Let me mention a couple of our experienced members, @CSParnell and @MikeTNZ, to see if they have any advice.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Iwish,

Removing the plates will be the easy part, as @MitchellMc mentioned, you should get a qualified technician to install the new RJ-45 sockets back to some sort of a marshalling panel or a patch panel, next to where your phone line enters your house, you can't really DIY this yourself unless you've worked in the telecommunications industry as an installer.

If you are going to do this all at once, insist on Cat-6e cabling be installed, don't bother with Cat 7 it is a dead in the water protocol and is a waste of money that will not give you any great increase in bandwidth.

Reason I say that you need to have a qualified technician, is that they must test the installation, point by point from the incoming cabling, back to the furtherest point to ensure no cross-talk or lost pairs in the wiring.

If you require further advice, by all means let me know, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your detailed response.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your prompt response, much appreciated.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects