Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal doors with clear gloss?

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

How to seal doors with clear gloss?

Hello, 

im looking for recommendations on sealing my doors at home. I had them painted some time ago and they had a gloss finish, but the painter left them with a Matt finish this time. 

id now like to see if I can use Boyle Clear Gloss Finishing Sealer and just use it straight over the doors? I want to use it as a sealer mainly.

thank you 

image.jpg

thank you. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal doors with clear gloss?

Hello @Newgreenthumb 

Thanks for sharing your question about sealing your door with clear gloss. It's great that you've received excellent advice from our members. I'm in agreement with the possibility that the paint has made the door just slightly thicker and is now catching on your door frame. 

Careful observation will tell you where the door is exactly catching on. These would be your problem spots and I suspect that a while back before the door was painted your door opened without a hitch. 

It would be better if you painted your door in gloss rather painting a clear gloss finish on it. You are technically mixing two products together and the long-term results could be unpredictable. 

Please let us know once you've decided which recommended solution you'll be applying. 

If you need further assistance or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects