Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal gaps under eaves?

Greg56
Just Starting Out

How to seal gaps under eaves?

I need to somehow stop animals such as possums and rats climbing into the roof space. I assume the gaps are there to allow airflow. How do I stop the animals and allow the air?

20230730_134856.jpg

20230730_134918.jpg

20230730_134849.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to seal gaps under eaves?

Good afternoon @Greg56 

Welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: I can think of a few options you could consider.

1- Spiky strips for pidgons (may be hard to fasten to the timber)

2- Small chicken wire in rolled up sections and wedged in. (Like this one the most for ease of use and blending in)

3 - There are courrogated insulation strips you can purchase but they usually are short in height.

If you roll the chicken wire mesh/bird mesh tight abound say a rolling pin a few turns there shouldnt be a lot of space for rast to get through either.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Greg56 

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about sealing the gaps under your eaves.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend using 18 x 18mm 5.4m H3 Treated Pine FJ DAR Primed LOSP to build a custom rectangular cover to fit into the gap of your eave. I've sketched up a sample below to give you an idea of how it can be put together.

I propose using Saxon 90cm x 3 x 0.7mm x 5m Animal Wire Netting and using a staple gun to fix it to the timber frame. You can mount the frame by drilling it into the side of the timber rafters. Please note that the measurements are for reference only, please adjust them to your needs. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
NinjaTomato
Getting Established

Hi Greg56! 
seeing this gave me flashbacks! 

We had a house with an identical problem…open gap between upstairs and downstairs…we had Possum Olympics each night! With the patter of possums racing up and down our ceiling/floor! 
I was told there was mesh specifically for this purpose, but in the meantime the problem solved itself when a 3 meter python moved in!!! 😳😳😳 It certainly cleared up our possum problem…🫣🤔 not sure what was worse tbh 😆😅

Anyway - hope you find a good solution! Best wishes 😉

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects