Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat woodgrub damage?

Paul_H
Just Starting Out

How to treat woodgrub damage?

IMG_6943.JPGIMG_6944.JPGIMG_6945.JPG

I made these trays from some old wood which had grub damage. Should I treat the wood for borer before finishing?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: woodgrub damage

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Paul_H. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about wood borer damage.

Do you have any idea how long ago this damage occurred? If you stick a pin or a thin bit of wire down the holes and there are no alive larvae in them, I wouldn't bother treating the timber. It's like damage from some time ago, and the borers have long since moved out or died.

If the borer is active, you can treat it with Hovex 1L Ultra Lo-Odour Termite Concentrate. Please remember your PPE, including gloves and a respirator, while applying the product.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I think that the damage was sometime ago. The timber was in the men’s shed that I go to and it has been sitting around for a number of weeks in my shed. I filled the holes with resin.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It does sound like old damage, @Paul_H. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it; if you've sealed the holes with resin, that should take care of it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects