Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use fishing tape to feed cables down the wall

TheHandySqirrel
Making a Splash

How to use fishing tape to feed cables down the wall

Recently I wanted to install cables in our double-brick home. I drilled holes into the inner brick wall and then fed the cable into the space between both brick walls, catching the cable from the subfloor as it fell down.

However, one brick wall space was so convoluted with other cables that the new cable refused to follow gravity, my attempts to catch it with sticks failed, and I only bruised my hands on the rough bricks.

Then I remembered my fishing tape, and how I could use it to fish the cable from the attic instead where I had access to the between-bricks space. But the tape only had a hole at the tip, so I screwed an old wardrobe hock to it, let it slowly down, twisted and turned it a little until it caught the cable. Now all I needed to do was slowly raising the tape. Job done!

Fitting an old wardrobe hook to the fishing tape helped raise the cable.Fitting an old wardrobe hook to the fishing tape helped raise the cable.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tip: Going fishing... for cables?

What a great hack @TheHandySqirrel! I bet you were overjoyed when you finally managed to capture the cable.

Well done, and many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects