Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas need to makeover a small duplex

DJLIZZIE83
Just Starting Out

Ideas need to makeover a small duplex

I live in a 2x1 duplex and it's a VERY SMALL SPACE...... How do u "make over small spaces"??? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: I HAVE A 2 X 1 DUPLEX, AND KNOW HOW I CAN PERFECT IT...... COZ ITS A SMALL SPACE!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DJLIZZIE83. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about making over a small space.

It sounds like you might need to break your project into the areas you'd like to work on. You can then post some pictures for our helpful members to see, and they'll be able to provide feedback on some solutions. Let me know if you need assistance uploading images.

Here are some excellent guides that would be useful:

Have you considered, or do you have a combined laundry/bathroom? You might like to jump into the current discussion on Would you combine your laundry and bathroom? and provide your thoughts.

We are really keen to hear more about how we could assist with your project, so please let us know any questions you might have.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ideas need to makeover a small duplex

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your duplex @DJLIZZIE83 so we can assist with ideas and inspiration. 

Please let me know if you need a hand sharing some images. 

Welcome to the community. We trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration from our wonderful members.

Jason

NinjaTomato
Getting Established

Hi DJLIZZIE83

Congrats on your purchase! Without seeing pictures of your project, I can offer general advice 🤗 and what I can say can be summed up with - "let there be light!" 😁🙌

Firstly what is the paint palette? Often older places can transform when given an all-over neutral freshen up. Think about how to add light and open up spaces. Shades of white are excellent for bouncing light around the room, creating the illusion of space. Strategically placed mirrors or a glass top on a table can also reflect space adding to the illusion.

What is your budget like? Can you afford to take down that shower curtain and replace it with a clear glass shower screen? Is there a little nib wall that could be removed to open up a space? When choosing furniture, low backed chairs and glass tables which do not obstruct your view are also your friend. And whilst that big comfy corner recliner you have might be wonderful and comfy, a smaller two piece, low backed number that takes up less floor space is a better choice. 

Give some thought to your window dressings. Heavy floral curtains take up more visual space than neat roller blinds that roll away neatly revealing your outside spaces. You might go as far as thinking about changing out windows/doors to clear sliders? Or doors with frosted glass panels that let in more light. 

Think if you have space for a dining table or can you get by with stools at a kitchen counter. Try as much as possible to keep rooms uncluttered and benches clear. Whilst nic-nacks can be fun, they unnecessarily draw the eye and make a space feel "busy".

Another thought is to look carefully at the spaces you have. We moved into a small 2x1 cottage once. It had a very small footprint. You moved through from the front door, past the kitchen which put you in the dining room. Walking around the dining table you moved through into a back little "dog-leg" area which was the lounge/TV.

We immediately painted the duck-egg-blue walls a natural white. We then had an electrician come and wire in TV points to where the dining space was, mounting the TV to a side wall. We then put our dining table where the original lounge room was. It opened up the WHOLE house. You could see straight through from the kitchen to the back glass doors and out onto the little deck and into the garden. Honestly the house felt twice as big by this simple rearrangement. And a large, simply framed mirror in the dining area, reflecting a high window opposite, made that space seem less claustrophobic also. Whatever you do, have fun, and be brave! Best of luck! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @NinjaTomato 

Thank you very much for sharing such detailed suggestions. Let me tag @DJLIZZIE83 to make them aware of recommendations. I'm in total agreement with you that changing colours to a bright pallet always works wonders when you are trying to make a small space look bigger.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects