Workshop
Ask a question

Need recommendation for insulation installer in Sydney

Samara1
Getting Established

Need recommendation for insulation installer in Sydney

Can anyone recommend an insulation company or installer who actually achieves great coverage/ does faultless work in Sydney?

I am planning to do following insulation in my first two storey home under construction.

Also what insulation type and what R value i have to go for the following items.

1. All internal walls in both floors.
  2. External wall of Garage as I will use as office.
  3. Ground floor Ceiling insulation between floors including Garage ceiling and Alfresco.

4. Plumbing pipes.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Insulation Company or Installer

Hi @Samara1,

Thank you for your question on insulation in your new two storey home.

Our members might have some suggestions for insulation installers, but you could also use a service like Hipages or True Local to find a good insulation installer in your area.

The National Construction Code (NCC) outlines the minimum requirement for insulation in new build homes in Part 3.12.1 Building fabric. You might like to have a look through this to understand what requirements there are.

The insulation type and R value you use really comes down to what you are trying to achieve and the size of the cavity available to insulate.

Internal wall insulation is generally more about sound transfer than it is heat transfer as the inside of your home is within the conditioned space created by the insulation in the external walls. The specific insulation you use for internal walls will be determined by the size and depth of the stud bays. An insulation specifically designed for sound dampening such as Earthwool R2.5 SoundShield Wall Batt would be a good choice but remember to confirm the size will work with the cavity.

The external wall of the office should be insulated in line with the NCC standards relating to the climate zone that your house falls in, so this is a discussion you should have with your builder to ensure it is in line with the requirements set out in the NCC.

Similarly to the internal walls, the ceiling cavity between levels is more about sand dampening than it is heat transfer. Once again, the size of the cavity will determine the best insulation that you can use, but a higher R value is usually better. Something like Earthwool R4.0 Insulation Ceiling Batt would be good, but once again, check that it will fit in the cavity before making a selection.

Plumbing pipe insulation will need to fall in line with plumbing regulations for your area. This is a question that should be discussed with your builder and plumber. There are products such as K-Flex Pipe Insulation Self Adhesive Tape that you can consider, but it's best to confirm their use with your builder and plumber.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Samara1
Getting Established

Any value on acoustic insulation in internal wall & underfloor ceiling

People says mixed feedback who did internal wall and underfloor ceiling acoustic insulation is not adding much value as still noise pass thru between rooms and floors.
Says better spend 5-6k on stone and furniture than insulation.
Kindly share your experience about your acoustic insulation for internal wall & underfloor ceiling if you done as I am planning to do for my new home under construction. Thanks

Samara1
Getting Established

Great thanks @JacobZ 

all my studs are 90/45mm and first floor joist is 450mm spacing

My first floor is AC4 or AC5 laminated flooring and wants to avoid noise when someone walks so do i need to go for acoustic insulation or the themal insulation one u suggested Earthwool R4.0 Insulation Ceiling Batt ? which is better

will this insulation installation DIY?

how to wrap the plumping pipes with K-Flex Pipe Insulation Self Adhesive Tape -  please share any video or link 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Samara1,

Acoustic insulation would be the best way to prevent noise transfer. For 90mm depth and 450mm width I'd suggest looking at Earthwool R2.5 90 x 430 x 1160mm 7.0m² HD Insulation SoundShield Wall Batt - 14 Pack - 90 x 430 x 11....

The 4.0 insulation is quite thick and typically used in ceiling cavities with more room for thermal resistance, not between floors for acoustics.

As you've mentioned, having a solid stone floor would likely provide more sound deadening than insulation batts. However, is adding a stone floor something you'd consider?

Installing insulation can be a D.I.Y. project. Here are a couple of useful step-by-step guides: How to insulate a wall and How to insulate a ceiling.

Installing pipe insulation is best left to the professionals so you are assured of a quality installation. If you did want to attempt this yourself, it would be best to start by reading through K-flex's installation manual.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects