Workshop
Ask a question

How to restore this buffet?

kacharash4
Cultivating a Following

How to restore this buffet?

I picked up this buffet from the kerb and have never seen one with a storage box base. They usually have cupboard storage. I cut it down with a multi tool and now have a book case for garage storage and a storage box. I purchased some 12 X 6mm Tasmanian Oak Moulding Flybead to finish off the back of the storage box where the cut is so I don't have end grain showing, but want to know if there are any other options. I thought about aluminium uneven angle as an option too which would cover a little of the damage done with the multi tool. I plan on stripping it back and repainting/staining anyway so the damage can easily be repaired. Any thoughts??

IMG_20220108_171649.jpg

IMG_20220109_145938.jpg

IMG_20220109_150006.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore this buffet?

Hi @kacharash4

What an excellent curbside save. Thank you for sharing the pictures of the buffet. If you're planning on staining it with another colour the common steps of sanding it down and cleaning it off are what you usually need to do. However, if you need to do a bit of repair, it's usually done when you've sanded the old stain and varnish off. When the real colour of the timber has revealed itself, I suggest getting a timber filler that's close to the shade of timber. 

The other option of repair involves taking the top panel at the back-off, cutting the back framing down and putting on a new top panel for the back. It will certainly be involved and will not be easy to find a matching piece of timber for the back. I believe your idea of using the Porta 12 x 6mm 2.4m Moulding is perfect. It will neatly disguise the cut off portion of the buffet. I'm thinking if you continue the beading to the front, it will seem like it has always been constructed in that manner.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the buffet repaired and repainted.

Let me tag our experienced members @JoeAzza, @lifestylebymari and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kacharash4
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to restore this buffet?

Hi Eric,

Thankyou for your suggestions. I would like to replace the top, but as you said, finding a matching piece is the problem. I'm interested in hearing any suggestions from those more experienced before I continue. Thanks again for your help.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects