Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Make some home made Furniture Wax

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Make some home made Furniture Wax

It is a wet and wintry day in Adelaide today so I thought I would cook up a batch of Furniture Wax.
Home Made Wax 1.jpg
Ingredients required...
250 mL Diggers Raw Linseed Oil
250 mL Diggers Pure Gum Turpentine
250 grams Natural Bees Wax
Containers to store your Wax in.
Home Made Wax 2.jpg
Use an old fruit can, pour in the Linseed Oil and Turpentine and place in a saucepan of water and boil, cut up the Bees Wax into smaller sections add the pieces and stir in.
Home Made Wax 3.jpg
NOTE! These liquids are flammable, please take care especially if you are using a naked flame gas cooktop!
Home Made Wax 4.jpg

I like to use these Boiled Sweet tins to store my wax in, they are ideal and have a capacity of 150g. The recipe detailed above will make 5 x150g tins.
Home Made Wax 5.jpg
In a relatively short time your wax will be ready to use (shown above after 30 minutes but a good couple hours will be necessary) It will set into soft solid paste and have a beautiful Eucalytus aroma. Apply to your furniture or newly created woodwork project with a cloth and buff it out to a shiny finish.
It is also excellent for easing sticky drawers (that have wooden runners)
Happy Workshopping!

Wood Working with Wayne
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Make some home made Furniture Wax

Looks great. Many thanks for sharing Wayne.
See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for sharing.... Love anything the is natural, I used to buy something similar years ago but for shoes, to protect them from winter weather..... So will be tying this post haste .... Sounds like it may not be suitable for floors? Do you have one for floors? wooden ?

Thank You

Janina
Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Hi Janina,
I originally sourced the information from a Wood Working online forum several years ago, and have used it successfully on many projects on raw timber and on finished timber surfaces.
I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be suitable for timber floors, albeit they will be very slippery walking around with socks on.
Personally, I would give it a try in a low traffic area and see what the result is like.
I just searched this article of interest as well...
http://furnitureknowhow.com/wood-floor-wax/

Wood Working with Wayne

Thanks Wayne,

That was good reading.  

Funny I dont mind doing floor but hate oil painting the bathroom...  just weird I guess.

Appreciated

Janina

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

@Wayne 

Hi, I know this is quite an old post, but I was hoping to get an answer anyway.

Can this polish be used on a bed frame, or is it likely to soak into fabrics of mattress/sheets etc.

Kind regards

It should be fine, it is the same as any paste wax, just apply it then buff it out.

Regards Wayne

Wood Working with Wayne
AngryBird
Building a Reputation

thanks Wayne

I am thinking of sealing my new bed and this sounds just right.

Kind regards

Akanksha
Projects Editor
Projects Editor

Glad to read you liked Wayne's project, @AngryBird

Don't hesitate to let us know if you need any help along the way as you seal your bed. We'd be happy to assist. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects