Workshop
Ask a question

How to remove wall anchor from hollow core door?

jarko
Getting Established

How to remove wall anchor from hollow core door?

I needed to hang a fixture to the back of a hollow core internal door, so I purchased the following hollow wall anchors:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-m4-x-0-5mm-hollow-wall-anchor-with-hook-2-pack_p2260541

I followed the instructions (or so I thought) and the first anchor (top in the image below) installed without an issue, however I must have overdriven the second anchor (bottom in the image below) and now I can no longer remove the screw:

signal-2024-05-14-195144_002.jpeg

The screw spins in place, and I don't know how to remove the anchor without making a mess of the existing door (and ideally without pushing something into the door which will rattle every time it is opened and closed).

I'm unable to hang the fixture over the top as the screw protrudes too far from the face of the door.

Can someone offer any advice on how I can remove the anchor?

I've seen some videos on YouTube, but the solutions are for walls, not hollow core doors.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing wall anchor from hollow core door

Hello @jarko 

Thanks for sharing your question about how to remove a stuck wall anchor from your door. 

I propose trying this technique, using ordinary pliers or long nose pliers, I suggest holding the outside flange of the wall anchor to prevent it from spinning. Once you have a good grip on the flange you can then use your Philips screwdriver to remove the screw. 

Please keep in mind that the anchor is now fully open and can't be removed. The only way to take the body of the anchor out is to bend the flange until it snaps off. However, this will damage your door, so I suggest leaving it in. With the screw taken out you should now have space to hang your fixture.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jarko
Getting Established

Thanks Eric,

Unfortunately that does not work. 

The flange itself does not spin, the screw spins within the anchor itself, while the flange remains stationary - embedded in the door.

Do you have any other ideas?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jarko 

Thanks for that update, it appears that the anchoring arms of the hollow wall anchor have snapped off and is stuck in limbo. I suggest trying this next technique, place a flat head screwdriver or a dull metal scraper at the back of the head of the screw. Your goal is to apply a lifting pressure to the head as you unscrew it with your Philips screwdriver. Keep applying the lifting pressure until the entire screw is out.

In theory the anchoring arms will meet up with the flange and get caught up with it, which will then allow you to remove the screw. 

However, if it proves to be too difficult and you don't make any progress, your only choice is to use a multi tool that has steel cutting blade attached. Please note that using this tool will scuff the surface of the door and you'll need to touch it up with paint to repair it. 

Give it another go and let me know if you succeed. 

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @jarko 

"The flange itself does not spin, the screw spins within the anchor itself"

To me it sounds like the thread has stripped. I was thinking small side cutters positioned with the bevel edges exerting an outward force while at the same time using a screwdriver to remove.

Once out the anchor remains a problem - I have ways to 'snip' it, but the remainder will remain in the door cavity.

20240516_140729.jpg

jarko
Getting Established

You guys were right!

Continued upward pressure allowed the screw to loosen and I could remove it!

Once the screw was out, I can see it had stripped in one spot - the upward pressure did the trick to let it turn.

Thanks again!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for updating us @jarko. Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects