Workshop
Ask a question

How to plan TV Conduit to 900 stud internal wall?

Samara1
Growing in Experience

How to plan TV Conduit to 900 stud internal wall?

TV Conduit to 90mm stud internal wall – how to plan? Share pictures to get idea.

what will be connected to the TV, leads to the question how many and what size conduits (50mm pvc pipe ? ) will I need installed in the wall to allow the greatest flexibility in the future.

Need double GPO, antenna to be mounted at the top (1200mm? above FL), double GPO at the bottom (300mm above FL) and a 50mm(?) conduit between top and bottom for either an optical out from TV to soundbar or HDMI from media player at the bottom.

But I'm not sure where I should run the conduit for LAN cable to, top or bottom? plug it to smart tv or plug it to the media player (or even both?). Is it possible to run one conduit with two openings (top and bottom) to allow this setup?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: TV Conduit to 900 stud internal wall

Hi @Samara1,

Thank you for your question about future proofing with conduits inside your wall.

I have always had a tendency to try to futureproof as much as possible, so I understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately, due to the licenced nature of the electrical industry, planning for electrical runs needs to be done in consultation with a suitably licenced electrician as there are electrical standards that need to be adhered to when designing cable runs. 

There are options to allow soft wiring to run through the wall cavity such as these DETA White Brush Wall Cover Plate, Deta Round Brush Wall Plate and Deta Bull Nose Brush Wall Plate. They are great for connecting wall mounted televisions to speaker systems and media centres lower down in the wall. One installed at the top of the wall and one at the bottom will allow hidden wiring to run through the wall cavity without the need for an electrician's assistance.

You could also have them mount an electrical conduit to the stud running from the top brush plate to the bottom to allow a direct path free from obstruction, allowing hidden wiring with ease.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any thoughts, @CSParnell, @DIYGnome.

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

Jacob

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @Samara1 

First up with the double GPO if you are prepping for the qualified electrician prior to sheeting you can drill a 25mm spade bit hole in the centre of your nogging and through to the top plate,  then run bricky string line and screw it top side of top plate and then to top side of bottom plate that will give your electrical contractor all he needs to install a GPO at 300mm and behind the TV through to roof cavity.

For other services free to air you can do the same run the down from the top plate and prepare with a draw string for an approved installer.

For other services, HDMI, Optical, ETC Bunnings sells a cavity tube to plate system in the AV section which is probably the neatest way.

Hope that helps some 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks @CSParnell.

Is the system you are referring to the CableClear 50mm Wall Cavity Cable Management Duct?

Looks like a great system for your purpose @Samara1.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Samara1
Growing in Experience

great thanks @JacobZ  could i pass both electical power points wire and all other cables like HDMI, data points, audio cables thru the same conduit pipe ?

or do the electrical power point not allowed to pass thru with other cables in the same conduit pipe? kindly advise

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hopefully, @CSParnell can answer that question for you @Samara1. However, typically, you wouldn't want to run a power cable right next to audio, visual and data cables due to interference. This interference might be insignificant, but it still raises the question of whether those other cables can be in the same conduit as 240v power by law, which an electrician must answer.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Sorry definitely not in the same conduit or next to each other there is a minimum spacing between services typically you would run in different sides of a stud for mechanical seperation 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects