Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Toy garage

deano1966
Building a Reputation

Toy garage

Garage.png

I’m building a toy garage for my grandson, using Australian hardwood offcuts. The pieces that I’m using would have been thrown out as they come in with the decking boards sold at Bunnings. The mix hardwoods are mostly spotted gum. 

This is just a trial assembly to see how it’s coming together. So far, it looks pretty good. I have yet to make the ramp that goes up and the ramp that comes down from the top parking area and I will be sanding and painting the entire garage and hopefully make it look good.

0E81C7DB-FDB2-40A9-BC31-8AA7EAB82D3F.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Toy Garage

Hello @deano1966 

That looks wonderful and I'm sure it will look fabulous once you apply the paint to the garage. I suggest testing the area with a small car to make sure all the openings will allow the toy automobile to pass through. I'm sure your grandson will be delighted to play with it.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the toy garage painted and ready for use.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Toy garage

Hi @deano1966. That already looks like it's shaping up brilliantly. And what a great idea to make good use of timber that would otherwide be thrown out.

Are you going to put a little hoist in the garage? Then you could teach your grandson how to rotate his tyres. They're never too young to learn!

Brad 

deano1966
Building a Reputation

And the build continues…

3046D35A-CFAE-4819-B728-992F96006BC5.png

I’ve made all of the cuts and I’ve done a ‘dry assembly’ and then I’ve primed all of the timber where I won’t be applying glue. The Zinsser Bullseye 123 is an amazing primer and I am seriously impressed with its quick drying and easy clean up. The paint team at West Gosford Bunnings know their paint!

1937ECA3-ADE5-479A-8740-6CF4930228AC.png

So far so good! Tomorrow I will sand and then put in another coat of primer. If the primer dries after the second coat, I may begin painting. 

hi @deano1966  

Nice project kids love such toys  i can see this with one of those city street layout rugs

deano1966
Building a Reputation

Another update! 

the build is looking good. This is the  test assembly and it fits together perfectly. It’s now time to glue, sanding and more paint. 

A558A71D-F427-40DA-90D6-E301DE9FB080.jpeg

Great work @deano1966. Looking forward to seeing it completed. 

Many thanks for the updates.

Jason

deano1966
Building a Reputation

It’s done and delivered!!!

My grandson walked right past the battery powered jeep and played with the garage. I was absolutely very happy! 😁

There are a number of issues with the finish, but overall I’m pretty happy with how ‘Mav’s Garage’ turned out. The main thing is that my grandson enjoys the garage. 

I can’t wait for the next project!

3F338D97-3E27-4B81-B5AF-BD7365260F88.jpeg

65AFDF95-3B98-4E8C-9D48-E2D189902249.jpeg

Awesome work @deano1966! These days, toys come with bells and whistles but seldom match a good ole' fashion timber playset.

Many thanks for sharing your project. What do you plan on tackling next?

Mitchell

@deano1966 

What a fantastic job, I love it! These are the kinds of items I believe that we remember going into adulthood. As a toddler the effort is often lost on us, but as an adult we learn to admire and appreciate the time, effort and skill that someone put into a project just for us. I've always said that when someone does something because they want to, not because they have to or they're being paid to, it is immeasurably more meaningful. Great work.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects