Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Using D.I.Y. to stretch the household budget

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Using D.I.Y. to stretch the household budget

As the cost of living continues to rise, it's important to make every dollar count.

It would be great to hear what Bunnings Workshop community members are doing to save money in these challenging times.

Simple things can help save cash like sealing gaps around doors and windows to improve the efficiency of air conditioning during summer or stay warm during winter. I’m also planning to continue to growing my own vegetables such as tomatoes from seed.  

I would love to hear any other cost-saving ideas, hacks or projects you’re working on to stretch your dollars further.

Let me tag @Renowayoflife@Tyro and @prettyliving to see if they can kick off the discussion.

Akanksha

How to grow tomatoes from seed to harvest.jpeg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Using D.I.Y. to stretch the household budget

One thing I try to do at least every year is check I am on the cheapest gas and electricity plan. Energy prices have increased so much in recent years it has become so important to not get complacent and make sure your plan is competitive. It can save hundreds of dollars each year. I live in Victoria and the government's Energy Compare website is each to use and a great service. I'm sure community members can use other services elsewhere to help check.

Jason

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

IMG_4414.jpeg

 Our local Supermarket is selling Passionfruit for $1.50 EACH !!! 😳😳 why pay a fortune for a fruit you enjoy eating. If you are able to, GROW YOUR OWN. If you can grow just a few edible plants you truly enjoy , then yes it will help cut costs instead of buying them at the supermarkets. You will actually enjoy watching the whole process of growing them in your own Garden. I get so many, I share mine 💜 This is Sunshine Special which is perfect for cold weather here in Perth. It’s Non Grafted so it won’t send up suckers everywhere. Try to plant a non grafted Passionfruit if you can 😊

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great crop! I also get a shock when I see lemons and limes at $1 each @mich1972

Jason

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Absolutely @Jason and ANYONE can grow a lemon or lime tree easily, even if they have a small backyard. With Dwarf and Semi Dwarf varieties available to buy, you can grow them in the garden or in pots !!! 🍋 🌿😃

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Akanksha and All 

I usually worry about heating and cooling costs, Comes down to "No way" can I afford to run air con for the house or heat the whole house in winter.

So curtains, shutters and overhead fans are the answer. Its not that icy cold but definently cooler to live with. I generally wait until 3-4pm inthe afternoon when the outside temp is about the same as the inside temp and then open all the windows up, you can feel the heat woosh out!

Winter its the reverse, keep all the windows and doors closed type deal and have even considered the Japenease style blinds to curtian off sections of the house, I would like one between the kitchen and the back room as in winter that area gets cold fast! One day I will do it, its on the list.

I have tried the whole DVD/CD curtain wall to trap that layer of air between the window and the discs, It actually seems to work well in both Summer and Winter. I have had the direct intense summer sun on the whole surface of the window for the Libary and inside the temperature dosnt change. 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects