Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What screws to use with Carinya brackets?

amySA
Cultivating a Following

What screws to use with Carinya brackets?

I have purchased these shelf brackets and have attached them to the wall successfully. 

I am unsure which screws to use to secure shelf to the top side of the bracket as these have quite large screw holes (6mm) but am requiring a short screw. 

The shelf thickness is 20mm 

Any help would be appreciated 

1000011801.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What screws to use with Carinya brackets

Hi @amySA,

That's a bit of an issue for timber screws, as I'm sure you've realised. I'd recommend using Zenith 12G x 18mm Zinc Plated Self Tapper Pan Head Sheet Metal Screws. They're designed for metal, but there's no reason why you can't use them on timber, and they suit your requirements. Just ensure you pre-drill the timber (mark your drillbit with some tape at the correct depth to prevent penetrating the top side) with a 5mm drill bit.

They are panhead and not countersunk, so they will be slightly proud of the bracket instead of sitting within it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What screws to use with Carinya brackets?

Hi @amySA  and @MitchellMc 

Would these inserts be useful in this situation? Of course they would have to be a shorter length...

20240426_114048.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What screws to use with Carinya brackets?

That would be a neat solution, @Noyade. But, the amount of work required might outweigh its benefit over a screw.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
amySA
Cultivating a Following

Re: What screws to use with Carinya brackets

Thanks @MitchellMc I will have to give those metal screws a go. Yes very difficult to find the correct thickness for these. I stumbled across the issue during reading the product reviews from others, seems to be a common issue which is frustrating since they are a great sturdy option! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects