Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What size & type of underground water pipes do I buy to replace galv from main Toby to supply house?

Kreezy
Getting Established

What size & type of underground water pipes do I buy to replace galv from main Toby to supply house?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I know what pvc underground water pipings to buy to replace existing galv to pvc from wat

Hi @Kreezy 

All PVC fitting are  perfect for underground use  The most important thing for you is to match the joining diameters to the  gal fittings. yo are aiming for a  close snug fit so  glues and sealing agents will work  best. 

Measure your gal  fittings and start looking for a  pvc  match is  best way to go.

'

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I know what pvc underground water pipings to buy to replace existing galv to pvc from ...

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kreezy. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about PVC pipe.

It's great to see that @Jewelleryrescue has already responded. To connect, you'll need to select the same size and suitable fittings. Taking a section of the Gal pipe into your nearest Bunnings store will make it easier to match it to an equivalent PVC pipe.

In accordance with Australian and New Zealand plumbing codes, only licensed plumbers are authorised to undertake plumbing or drainage work. While homeowners can handle minor tasks like changing a tap washer or replacing a shower head, ensuring strict safety standards and regulatory compliance is crucial. Enlist professional assistance for plumbing projects to safeguard your home and family.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kreezy
Getting Established

Re: How do I know what pvc underground water pipings to buy to replace existing galv to pvc from ...

I have had a plumber come and diagnose problems and fortunately I am able to assist with the trench digging work, provide suitable piping and fittings. The installation will be left to them to clip and connect. I also won't be removing existing galv, it will remain in the ground and walls for the time being.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's great to hear @Kreezy.

If you can provide the diameter of the gal pipe and show us the connections you need to make, we can assist you with selecting products. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm so sorry, @Kreezy. I just realised I referenced Australian plumbing restrictions when you're in New Zealand. I double-checked, and they follow the same rules as AU regarding any plumbing work that must be carried out by a licensed professional, but you're all over that anyway. 👍

I'll amend my above comment to be clearer and for the benefit of other NZ members coming across this discussion.

Mitchell 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects