Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where can I learn to use a palm sander?

MimiLaurent
Just Starting Out

Where can I learn to use a palm sander?

Hi, I have a project and need to know how to use a palm sander. Is there somewhere that has demos or lessons for people that have never used power tools before?

Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Where can I learn to use a palm sander?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MimiLaurent. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about learning to use a palm sander.

You're welcome to have a chat with the Tool Shop team member, D.I.Y. presenter or Activities organiser at your local store. They'll be able to let you know if there are any upcoming in-store workshops that might cover using a palm sander. 

You might also like to have a read through the following guides:

My biggest tip for learning how to use a palm sander would be just to have a go on some scrap material. The general rule is the coarser the sandpaper, the more likely you'll sand too much or damage the surface, so start with finer sandpaper like 240-grit and practice. If you are not cutting through the material fast enough, decrease the grit to 180. You want to use the least aggressive grit possible to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time. Once you've smoothed the surface or removed the layer you wish to, you then move back up in stages, increasing the grit until you reach your desired finish. Remember to remove the coarse scratch marks from the previous grit entirely before stepping up to the next grit count.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects