Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which airless paint sprayer is the best?

David4907
Finding My Feet

Which airless paint sprayer is the best?

Hi, I can't afford to have someone in to paint my house. I thought I would do it. I suffer with Arthritis and I'm in my mid seventies.

I'm looking at buying either the Ozito airless paint sprayer or the Wagner airless paint sprayer. I have read that with the Wagner I could buy a tool that means I don't have to climb ladders. I'm more concerned about the ceilings than anything else in the house.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: which airless paint sprayer is the best?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @David4907. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about paint sprayers.

How many rooms is your home? Were you looking at the Ozito 400W Power Paint Spray Gun and Wagner W350 Wood And Metal Paint Sprayer or the Ozito 700W Airless Paint Sprayer and Wagner Control Pro 150 (HEA) Airless Paint Sprayer? Since you've specified airless, I suspect it's the latter. Both of those units would be perfectly suitable for painting your house. However, I recently painted a three-bedroom house with the Wagner W350 Wood And Metal Paint Sprayer in a few days, so it is doable. With your arthritis, you might find it less taxing having to only hold up the hose and handset of the airless models than the whole unit. The other downside to the non-airless versions is that they have a relatively small reservoir that must be refilled regularly.

Fortunately, I could spray the ceiling from standing on the floor, though holding the unit above my head for several hours did get a bit exhausting. The Wagner 60cm Paint Spraying Tip Extension For Control Pro would certainly come in handy for the Wagner airless machine, and it would be a real plus if you didn't need to get on a ladder.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

G'day @MitchellMc 

Always wanted to try this - but balked. Is the finish better looking than a roller? Are professional interior painters doing this more and more?

Cheers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Once you get the settings dialled in and you familiarise yourself with the sprayer, it's not only a better finish, but you can paint a wall much faster @Noyade. I will say, though, that I spent considerable time cleaning the nozzle out and ensuring everything was running just right. If I stopped for a coffee, I'd unscrew the jet and place it in water to stop any paint from clogging it up. Also, when it started not laying down paint efficiently or spluttering, I'd clean the nozzle and jet out; it only takes a minute or so.

It would likely be more proficient for professional painters if they were painting an entire house. For one or two rooms, it would make more sense to roll it on. I roll the paint on my walls, even though I have a sprayer, as it's not worth having to lay drop sheets and make sure nothing gets overspray on it. However, if I was to do a few rooms again, I'd use the sprayer in a heartbeat.

Are you looking at doing a whole house or just a room?

Mitchell

Hi again @MitchellMc 

Two bathrooms. Especially the ceilings. Like @David4907 I have orthopaedic problems, in particular an old C7 herniated disc. I appreciate you still have to look up when spraying - but I'm guessing you would have to look up less. I take it these sprayers work just as well in the vertical position?

Cheers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I hear you @Noyade, C4 herniated disc with impinged nerve here. Yes, the sprayers work just as well in the vertical position.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc 

Sorry to hear that - and at a young age. 😔

Spray painting - I MUST look into this. Wagner you reckon?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Wagner would be the premium product @Noyade. I actually have a Dulux-branded spray gun that was available in a kit for spraying fences. It's a Wagner in disguise, as I found out when comparing it to my father-in-law's Wagner, which is exactly the same. 

Mitchell

Hi, I hope to be able to.paint all of the interior of my house. That would be 3 bedrooms, 2 toilets,1 bathroom, 1 en suite, and 2 halls plus a laundry.

Buying a airless paint sprayer, I thought would make my task a little easier.

You said painting the walls by roller, I was intending to do walls and ceilings with paint sprayer. I'm  now thinking that if I have painted the ceilings with the sprayer, to then to do the walls, paint droplets in the air would end up on the ceilings. Buying a paint sprayer to paint just the ceilings which would only be painted once for the rest of my life seems a bit silly.

I now need to rethink how I get my house painted.

H @David4907,  

Painting the walls with a roller was in the context that if you only needed to do one or two rooms, rolling might be more proficient. If you're doing a whole house, using a sprayer to do all the walls and ceilings would make sense. The Ozito 400W Power Paint Spray Gun and Wagner W350 Wood And Metal Paint Sprayer are quite budget-friendly if you might only need to paint the house once. The lance extension for ceiling painting is not compatible with this type of air sprayer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects