Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which mortar or grout to use for brick floor?

LizzieCro
Making a Splash

Which mortar or grout to use for brick floor?

Hi Everyone,

In a couple of weeks I’m going to be installing a brick floor in my onsite caravan annexe. They are real, solid, ordinary bricks. It has an existing concrete slab, which needs a couple of spots levelled out. I’ll Ardit those, then roll a coat of Bondcrete over the entire floor. I’ll be using a masonry adhesive to attach the bricks. I was wondering what would be the best type of filler for the gaps? I’m thinking a cement sand mix might be OK, made into a slurry so it gets right into the gaps. I’m certainly open to suggestions. 
I’d be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks very much.

Re: Which mortar/grout to use for brick floor?

Thanks Eric 

mortar mix purchased

and also a bag of sand as some of the bricks have sunk in a bit ? So should I re-sand underneath those ?

will update next week when I do it 

ps: so acrylic render not strong enough - do u mean between paving bricks ? Just curious 

thx 

Neil 

Re: Which mortar/grout to use for brick floor?

Hi @neil_roberts_au 

If parts of the base floor have sunk or is uneven, I suggest putting in sand and using a Trojan 205mm Tamper or similar to level it out before putting the bricks back in.

In regards to the acrylic render, yes it might not be strong enough to go between paving bricks. It's made for independent vertical applications. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects