Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which paint to use on my ceiling?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

Which paint to use on my ceiling?

Hi we have a cathedral ceiling , so we wants to paint it bright white like the picture shown below . What paint + primer would you guys recommend that are suitable for both the timber beams and ceiling sheet.

Our plan is to apply dulux-1l-precision-stain-mould-blocker before any painting work

2) But our wall color is not 100% pure white (see the second picture) , do we have to paint the wall of the whole living room to make it look coherent with the ceiling?

Screenshot_20230806-112037_Chrome.jpg

20230806_110934.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Product recommendation - Color match between wall and ceiling

Hi @ivanptr,

You can use any ceiling paint to coat your ceiling. Using it straight out of the can will give you the brightest white possible. You can use Dulux Aquanamel for the timber beams, and once again, it will be the brightest out of the can without any tints.

You don't have to paint the walls, but what will happen is that when you apply the bright white paint to the ceiling, the walls will look even duller and contrast more heavily with the white ceiling. I can tell they are quite cream-coloured now, but with the contrasting white ceiling, they will look very cream-coloured. I'd suggest you consider using either plain white on the walls as well or something like Dulux's Antique White USA. I'd normally go white on the ceiling and then 1/4 strength Antique White USA on the walls. I've used 1/2 strength, but that was just a bit too cream-coloured for the bright white I was going for. The other wall option is 1/2 or 1/4 strength Dulux Lexicon, but that can throw a bit of a blue hue under some lighting conditions. Antique white USA is a warm ochre tone, and Lexicon is a cool bluer tone. In-store, they will both look like plain white, but it's when you put them next to an actually plain white that it shows their true colourings.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects