Workshop
Ask a question

Which 90cm rangehood style is better?

Samara1
Getting Established

Which 90cm rangehood style is better?

Looking for 90cm rangehood for 90cm gas cooktop - Which rangehood is better and will all these types be ducted to ceiling or wall for 2 storey home

• Ducted or Recirculating
  • Canopy or Undermount or Fixed or Slide-out (retractable) rangehoods
  • Filter

Rangehoods.png

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which 90cm rangehood style is better?

Hi @Samara1,

Thank you for your question about rangehoods.

The type of rangehood that you select for your ongoing project will mainly be affected by the location and surrounding cabinetry. A canopy or fixed rangehood need to be attached to the wall, whereas an undermount or slide-out rangehood need to be fixed to cabinetry. Your choice of rangehood will likely come down to the location of the cooktop and the cabinetry of the kitchen where it is being installed.

While there are pros to recirculating rangehoods, such as their ease of install as they do not require ducting, there are also cons such as their requirement for filters to be replaced at regular intervals and that heat is vented back into the room. Since you are still in the build stage, I would suggest you rule out a recirculating system as they have more ongoing maintenance requirements. 

The requirements for ducting differ between legislation, but my research seems to indicate that the majority of jurisdictions call for ducting to be vented to the outside of the premises. Venting the rangehood into a ceiling cavity is not advisable as the pollutants including oil and grease will build up in the cavity affecting any insulation or materials used in that area presenting an unnecessary risk for fire. Since you are still in the build stage, I suggest that a ducted system is installed that is vented to the outside of the home.

There are a wide variety of 90cm rangehoods within the Bunnings range, however much of the decision on the specific model comes down to the circumstances of their install, and your own personal preference.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Samara1
Getting Established

Great thanks Jacob

1) Could i go for wall mounted Venting for the rangehood as mine is 2 storey so ducting to external wall which is backside of my kitchen will be short distance.

2) undermount rangehoods are not covering the full depth of gas cooktop, i think it covers top half of cooktop so how efficient this rangehoods are. as the front burners are not covered here.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Samara1 

Modern rangehoods can be ducted both to the top and back your installer can modify the ducting to go into the proper direction. Undermount rangehoods are often pull-out type systems that take into account the depth of a 900 cooktop. Fixed rangehoods such as the Bellini 90cm Stainless Steel Canopy Rangehood are deep enough to account for the depth of a 900 cooktop.

There are narrow type rangehoods that fit into a cabinet fitting, but these are provided more powerful motors to compensate for the narrow profile.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects