Workshop
Ask a question

How to seal large gaps between Gyprock and timber studs inside wardrobes?

MrsV2580
Just Starting Out

How to seal large gaps between Gyprock and timber studs inside wardrobes?

Hi - we recently bought a single brick house about 35 years old.  Each built in wardrobe and cupboard has large gaps on the inside between the gyprock and timber.  What is the best way to seal these? They run from top to bottom and right around letting in cold air, dirt and dust, are a breeding ground for spiders and vermin from the roof via the wall cavity?  As there are 8 affected cupboards and wardrobes and it is a tight squeeze to get in there, we are really struggling to come up with a permanent affordable solution.  Thanks in advance

1000018718.jpg

1000018715.jpg

1000018719.jpg

1000018716.jpg

1000018717.jpg

1000018721.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal large gaps between Gyprock and timber studs inside wardrobes?

Hello @MrsV2580 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about closing the gap in your wardrobe.

I suggest using self-expanding foam filler to fill the gap in the stud wall. foam filler can be trimmed and cut using a Craftright 18mm Snap Off Knife. Once the foam filler has cured, I suggest using timber moulding to cover the gap between the wall and the frame.

You can either screw or nail the timber moulding to the timber frame. Some of the mouldings come primed so it's up to you which one you want to use. If you really want it totally sealed, I suggest using Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler on all the edges of the timber moulding.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MrsV2580
Just Starting Out

Thank you Eric for your quick and detailed response.  Are there any self-expanding foam fillers that are non toxic?  They all seem to have cancer warnings on the packaging? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MrsV2580,

I've been unable to find an expanding foam that doesn't have a health hazard warning label. I am happy to contact our suppliers for further guidance when they reopen tomorrow if this is something you'd like?

If toxicity of the product is a concern of yours, I'd advise using a combination of timber trims and gap filler such as Parfix 475g White Gap Filler.

Let me know if you'd like any further advice or information.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects