Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advice on bathroom split to two rooms

GC9114
Getting Established

Advice on bathroom split to two rooms

Hi Guys

I'm looking for advice on how the drainage would most likely be installed/altered from existing to proposed layouts below.  I'm hoping to get an idea of the extent of the work involved.  I understand the floor will have to be cut and dug up then made good once the drainage has been installed. Thanks in advance. 

2022-04-27 (3).png2022-04-27 (2).png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice on bathroom split to two rooms

Hello @GC9114 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @MitchellMc and @Vis-á-vis. Just to add to the advice given, just keep in mind that the most expensive part of your plumbing job will be the concrete cutting. If you look at your updated drawing the waste pipe for the shower is already there, so no need to add a new one. The waste pipe for the new bath is already there as well, might need a bit of repositioning but no need to add a new set.

The existing plumbing for the vanity can be split in two, one for the 900mm vanity and one for the 1200mm vanity. Again, just additional pipework, but the plumber will not have to bring in anything from the outside. The other big job is digging outside and connecting to the sewer pipe for the new toilet.

My best advice for this alteration that you're planning is to ask for a detailed job list. Make sure that it's in email form, don't accept a verbal job agreement as you'll be playing catch up with them to get the job finished. Make sure that a finish by date is indicated on the contract and most importantly the terms of payment must be very clear. One last thing if the plumber has to return for the final fit-out, make sure that it's clearly indicated on the job list that they will return for the fit-out. 

Warranty is very important for new bathroom renovations. Make sure to file all the dockets on shower mixers, tap mixers, toilets, towel rail holders and anything that has a two or three-year warranty. Every time the plumber buys a fitting make sure to ask for a copy of the docket for your own personal file so that if you need to claim a warranty you will have proof of purchase.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your bathroom renovation.

Eric

GC9114 bathroom1.jpgGC9114 bathroom2.jpgGC9114 bathroom3.jpgGC9114 bathroom4.jpgGC9114 bathroom5.jpgGC9114 bathroom6.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects