Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Basin waste basket removal

Stew352
Getting Established

Basin waste basket removal

How do I remove a waste basket (long thread) from a porcelain basin unit? I have removed the U bend and undone the large nut on the waste, however I cannot remove the waste because the thread is totally filled up with sealant which is working perfectly to stop any possible leak!  The downside of this is the fact that I cannot budge it!  Any ideas appreciated please.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Basin waste basket removal

Hello @Stew352,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your query about how to remove your basin waste. 

I suspect that the basin waste has been hand-sealed with silicone. I suggest using Selleys 375g Silicone Remover.  Once applied to the sealed area you will need to wait for it to soften the hardened silicone. When the seal is workable, you can slowly chip off the silicone with a flat head screwdriver, taking great care not to damage your porcelain basin in the process.

Please let us know if need more assistance.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Stew352
Getting Established

I am not so sure that it is a silicone sealant that has been used, it almost looks like putty, and is quite hard, certainly harder than silicone.  The reviews for the  Selleys 375g Silicone Remover are not at all encouraging either, I sort of feel that is not going to work. There is very little room to get any sort of tool in between the thread and the porcelain hole in the sink.  Further thoughts please.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

You might like to share some photos so members can see what you are working with @Stew352.

@EricL will be happy to assist when he is back on the site on Friday. Let me also tag @TedBear and @JDE to see if they might be able to share how they would go about removing the waste basket.

Thanks,

Jason

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Stew352 

As you have a lack of space Would a hacksaw blade work to sand /chip it away. You can get one handed handles, Or possible get a belt sander belt turn it inside out and use it to "hand sand" it. If you dont need to keep the original, you could just cut it off flush against bottom of nut or if you have a renovator tool cut across the nut and prise it off this would mean replacing the nut only.

JDE

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Stew352

It's great that you've received some excellent advice from @JDE. If removing the waste has become truly difficult, I suggest using an Ozito PXC 18V Multi-Function Tool. Using the steel cutting blade should cut down whatever is holding the waste in place. You may have to cut it in two different spots to completely remove it. Just a friendly reminder to please take care and not damage the basin in the process.

If you need more information please let us know.

Eric

Stew352
Getting Established

How to remove plumbers putty from a waste basket?

I want to replace the waste basket in my porcelain hand basin. I can disconnect the waste pipe and trap, remove the large nut clamping the waste basket to the basin, but then find plumbers putty (or similar) is solidly holding the waste basket to the basin.  How do I free up the putty or is there some cleaver way to remove the waste basket?  Help please.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove plumbers putty from a waste basket?

Hi @Stew352,

Sorry to see you're still having trouble. Did you try the suggestions above from @EricL and @JDE?

Let me also tag some other helpful members in @MikeTNZ and @TedBear for their thoughts.

Jason

Stew352
Getting Established

Thanks for the thoughts so far.  I think the use of a multi tool to cut the waste basket away piece by piece may be the only way that I can see forward.  I am a little reluctant to start the process for fear that I either damage the porcelain basin or cannot actually cut all of the waste basket out after starting to cut it.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries @Stew352. I'm sure @EricL will be happy to assist further. 

I'm sure it would help members if they could see what you are working with, so let me know if you need a hand sharing some photos. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects