Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Basin waste basket removal

Stew352
Getting Established

Basin waste basket removal

How do I remove a waste basket (long thread) from a porcelain basin unit? I have removed the U bend and undone the large nut on the waste, however I cannot remove the waste because the thread is totally filled up with sealant which is working perfectly to stop any possible leak!  The downside of this is the fact that I cannot budge it!  Any ideas appreciated please.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove plumbers putty from a waste basket?

Hello @Stew352

I can understand your reluctance in using a power tool near a ceramic basin. There is always the possibility of creating micro fractures on the porcelain allowing it to develop fissures on the surface.  

If you are taking photos of the bottom of the waste, can I please request that you take photos of the top of the waste as well? Perhaps we can find a way to twist the waste assembly from the top? Once we see the photo's we can then make recommendations on possible methods of disassembly.

One method I propose trying is to use Flexovit 115mm x 1m 120 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll on one side of the putty only. This technique requires you to sand only one side of the putty to weaken its overall structure and hold on the basin waste. This is on the condition that you can reach the putty with the sandpaper.

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Stew352,

Could you please post a picture of this "waste basket"?, as I'm really struggling to picture it.

I'm sure there is something we can do without sawing or breaking anything.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Stew352
Getting Established

Basin1.jpgBasin2.jpgBasin3.jpgBasin4.jpgBasin5.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Stew352 

Thank you so much for posting photos of your basin waste. Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell how deep the silicone goes and how much of it there is.

There is a technique you can try but it will ruin the threads of the basin waste, and it could possibly damage the bottom of your basin waste. I propose using a Multigrip Plier on the bottom of the waste and turning it clockwise and ant-clockwise until it loosens up. Please note that this is a brute force recommendation so just be careful that you don't accidentally shift the position of the vanity.

If you feel that it's too risky to attempt the technique, I suggest engaging the services of registered plumber. They might have tools that can dislodge your basin waste from the basin. 

Let me call on our experienced member @MikeTNZ for his recommendation.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Stew352
Getting Established

Thanks Eric, I think I will wait until I have the need for a plumber, and than ask them if they can do the job.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers Stewart 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects