Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom Basin "p" trap

cdbstock
Finding My Feet

Bathroom Basin "p" trap

Is a licensed plumber required to fit a rubber seal to a 40mm pvc 'p' trap under my bathroom basin

cdbstock
Finding My Feet

Re: Bathroom Basin "p" trap

Is my post innappropriate _ how?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom Basin "p" trap

Hello @cdbstock

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about replacing the o-ring of your "P" trap.

Your post is perfectly fine. You can replace the entire o-ring set of your "P" trap by using the Kinetic 38 and 50mm Trap Pack Washers - 6 Pack. To clear up any confusion the 38mm set is the one you use for the 40mm trap. To answer your question, no, you don't need a plumber to replace the o-rings. 

Just keep in mind to put a basin to catch all the excess water from the trap when you remove it. Take your time and make sure the seals are sitting properly. Leave the basin under the trap for at least 8 hours to make sure that the trap has been sealed properly. If the basin is dry the trap is installed properly.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
cdbstock
Finding My Feet

Repairing a leaking PVC 40mm domestic "P" trap

Am I (not a 'plumber') legally able to replace the perished rubber seal in the 'P' trap under my bathroom basin (in Brisbane). 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repairing a leaking PVC 40mm domestic "P" trap

Hi @cdbstock

Yes, you can replace the perished rubber seal in the "P" trap yourself. If you feel that it is beyond your current capabilities, you may engage the services of a handy person or post the job on Airtasker or Hipages.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Repairing a leaking PVC 40mm domestic "P" trap

Many thanks, Eric

Col Burg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects