Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom ceiling paint peeling

gloriavee
Getting Established

Bathroom ceiling paint peeling

20211025_002737.jpg

 Hi, This is a bathroom ceiling. All of the ceiling is in the same condition. You can literally peel it off with your hands. I think it will all just peel off. What should I do in this instance? Just peel it all off?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom ceiling

Hi @gloriavee,

Anything that can easily be peeled off needs to be removed. I'd suggest using a UNi-PRO 75mm Angled Heavy Duty Paint Scraper on an extension pole. If you manage to reach a section that is still well adhered, you can use Zinsser 0.95L Peel Stop Clear Binding Primer over it. However, it's best to remove as much of the delaminated paint as possible because anything that hasn't peeled off is likely to in the future.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to paint a ceiling.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gloriavee
Getting Established

Help! Bathroom Ceiling

20211210_004047.jpg

20211210_004035.jpg

Hi 

I recently posted about my bathroom ceiling that had paint coming off it. I took your advice and got the necessary tools. However those patches you see are difficult to get out. Looks like some filler was applied at some point in some areas. What should I do now? Sand and paint? Please guide me as to what to do and what I need to purchase from Bunnings. Looks terrible in this state. Thank you!

Re: Help! Bathroom Ceiling

It needs to be "dead smooth" before painting. Run your fingers over the "hard edges" where the paint ends abruptly...feel a bump? all that needs sanding so its no longer a hard edge - else once its painted it will show all the imperfections. Once you cant feel any more bumps - grab a torch and shine it from different angles to double check theres no more bumps while running your fingers across the areas

The old filler you mention - make sure its dead flat and level with the rest of the ceiling, if its not flat, sand it until it is flat -  If theres parts of the ceiling that are sunken or dented in - add bog to fill the dents etc and allow to dry - then sand the bog back until its dead smooth

You dont have to remove all the old paint on the entire ceiling - but you do have to fix all the "dodgy" bits where paint might be lifting etc and remove those bits and get them all dead flat.... DONT PANIC - It all looks pretty normal for the kind of work your doing sofar - it will come up nicely if you dont rush this part of cleaning and leveling

I use a small ryobi orbital sander for jobs like yours but I had alot of rooms to fix (manually sanding by hand can take alot of time)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gloriavee

It's great that you've received very good advice from @Prawns. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend using the Ozito ¼ Sheet Orbital Sander. It's an excellent orbital sander capable of using standard sandpaper. It makes it very convenient as you won't have to get any specialized pads for the sander. I also suggest getting the Bear Disposable Paint Mask With Active Carbon Filter And Valve - 2 Pack in conjunction with Protector Wide Vision Safety Goggles. These two safety products will protect you from the dust that will be generated from all the sanding. Please remember to take your time so that you get a flawless finish.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your bathroom ceiling refreshed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gloriavee
Getting Established

Thank you so much! Yes in a panic! I will take your tips and advice.  I did think I had to take it all off. I will take my time.

Thank you again.  

gloriavee
Getting Established

Thank you. I will take up your suggestions. Yes I will keep you updated. 

I appreciate all your advise. Thanks again. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects