Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom is dark - no natural light

Georgi1
Just Starting Out

Bathroom is dark - no natural light

Hi, I have recently moved into a new apartment but not paying much attention to bathroom and ensuite. I cannot believe in this day and age the bathroom and ensuite would have no natural light I am forever turning on the lights to see in these rooms. Im thinking of skylights or maybe a window in the roof. No chance of windows in the rooms themselves. Any ideas as to what would be the best option for me.

Many thanks Georgiewith light onwith light onwith no light onwith no light on20221129_160744.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bathroom is dark - no natural light

Hi @Georgi1,

Congratulations on the new apartment and a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I'm sure you'll get plenty of helpful advice and inspiring ideas from our wonderful members.

I would suggest your first point-of-call would be your body corporate as you might not be able to make changes to your apartment's roof. 

Let me also tag @CSParnell and @EricL to see if they could share their thoughts on possible solutions.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Thanks for the tag @Jason , @Georgi1 one of the options I was looking at for my kitchen before I went down the path of light sensor that connected into my home automation system (that's another story) was this solar light panel kit with switching 240v https://www.bunnings.com.au/ezylite-450-x-450mm-square-solar-hybrid-skylight-kit_p0095852

It comes in other sizes but to me if you are going to have a big light panel in your ceiling you want to be able to use it at night as well. It also minimises the cutout in the roof and all the tiles or tin being cut.

Worth a look.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Georgi1

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @CSParnell. His recommendation of the EzyLite 450 x 450mm Square Solar Hybrid Skylight Kit is spot on. There is no need for you to cut into your ceiling or roof when installing this light source for your bathroom. It can be used for daytime or nighttime operations. 

Another option is the Illume 180mm White Round Skylight Alternative. This unit uses ambient light technology and works in harmony with the sunlight produced outside. Please keep in mind that these units will require their solar panels to be mounted outside your unit. It's important to secure your body corporate's permission before installing them.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@Georgi1 how did you go with this did you decide on a solution?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects