Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom light not working

Abhi352
Growing in Experience

Bathroom light not working

Hi,

One of the globe in bathroom has suddenly stopped working. 

I brought a new one and still the same.

Then tested the socket with the tester and can see power is there.

Please see the attached pics.

Can someone please advise what may be the problem. Thanks in advance.

IMG_20220608_120229.jpgIMG_20220608_120957.jpgIMG_20220608_121225.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom Light

Hello @Abhi352

Thanks for sharing that question about your bathroom light. One of the things I would suggest is to try and plug the bulb back in again and give it a bit of a wiggle. Sometimes the contact points for bulbs get a residue build-up and you need to make sure the bulb makes good contact with the receiver. 

However, if after much adjusting and the bulb still refuses to work odds are there could be another part of the lighting system that's failed. At this point, I recommend engaging the services of a registered electrician. If you have an older system that still uses a ballast system there is a possibility that there is something faulty in it, but only your electrician will be able to tell for sure.  

Let me tag our experienced member @MikeTNZ for his recommendation.

Please keep us updated with your progress,  we look forward to seeing your bathroom light fixed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Abhi352,

Welcome along to Bunnings Workshop,

May I please ask what type of lamp you're using?, it looks like it may be a Halogen type lamp, but it could also be an LED equivalent.

Also, what is the voltage of that particular lamp AND the fitting that supplies it?

One other thing, you don't have a dimmer on this circuit, do you?

Personally, I would not use one of them "non-contact" type voltage testers to ensure the supply is available at a fitting.

Some types of light fittings do not give an accurate output until there is a "load" on them, while there might be some sort of voltage there to trigger your tester, it may not be enough to operate a lamp as a load.

It could be a situation of the transformer/controller in the ceiling having failed, in that scenario, I think it would be safer for a qualified Electrician to look at this, bearing in mind that this is powered by 230 volts.

If you can give me some further information, I would hope that I could help you out.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Abhi352
Growing in Experience

1654681752734682504948746501158.jpg

Abhi352
Growing in Experience

Hi @MikeTNZ LED. Pls check the pic for power rating

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Abhi352,

So you were using LED lamps in this fitting beforehand?

I note that the box doesn't mention the voltage that the lamps use, does it say that on the lamps themselves?

Reason I say that is because they make MR-16 lamps in 230V, 24V and 12V versions.

These are not interchangeable.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Abhi352

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the old lamp that was originally attached? Specifically, the text information printed on the side of the old bulb. This will help us identify if your system is set up for halogen bulbs only.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Bearing in mind this is a bathroom,

By rights it should be SELV (Safety Extra Low Voltage) meaning 12 or 24V from a transformer in the ceiling.

AS/NZS 3000: 2018 requires this.

Abhi352
Growing in Experience

16546832724667561451120841078502.jpg

Abhi352
Growing in Experience

Hi @EricL below is old one

16546833787012947462221045253675.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects