Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom refresh

tom_builds
Making a Splash

Bathroom refresh

20210623_172224.jpgHi all,

Just sharing the work we have done in our bathroom to update its styling. When we first bought our house we were tossing up the idea of completely redoing the bathroom but decided that it was going to be too costly to do straight up. The bathroom as we bought it had peach coloured walls with blue wall tiles and a tessalating floor tile.

20200221_084334.jpg

The first change we made to the bathroom was to slide the vanity across slightly to accommodate our washing machine. One of our initial projects after buying the house was sacrificing the separate laundry to create a large open plan living, dining and kitchen space.

Moving the washing machine into the bathroom required a slight tweak to the vanity plumbing by adding a 15x20mm fitting onto the cold-water supply to accommodate the washing machine inlet pipe. I also added a bypass into the vanity drain pipe for the washing machine drain pipe. We kept the bathroom like this for a while as other projects took priority. 

The next step we took was painting the walls in Lexicon Quarter and the wall and floor tiles with Dulux's Renovation Range Tile Paint in Lexicon Quarter, and then used a black grout pen to recolour the grout around the floor tiles.

20200407_164114.jpg

20210529_150738.jpg

We also updated our shower head (Mondella Roccocco in Matte Black), bath spout and tap ware (Mondella Resonance in Matte Black) and replaced our old towel rail with two new towel rails (Barelli Piazza 900mm Matte Black Double Towel Rail). Our shower curtain made way for a semi frameless swinging shower screen (Rick McLean's Designer Bathware 750mm White M3 Swing Bath Screen) and we added a mirrored shaving cabinet to provide extra storage space (Mondella Roccocco 3 door shaving cabinet in white).

The final step was to completely redo the vanity. We used Flatpax cabinetry as the base (we used a 450mm Laundry Hamper cabinet and a 600mm Two door cabinet) and an Acacia panel cut to size for the benchtop (I sealed the benchtop with multiple coats of a water-based polyurethane to protect it from water damage, a process that will need to be repeated over time). We chose a round countertop basin (Estilo 400mm White Round Counter Top Basin) and finished it with a matte blank mixer tap (we used a kitchen mixer for the added height needed due to the countertop and we bought one with a removable nozzle to help with baby baths)

20210606_110008.jpg

20210623_172224.jpg

20210623_172233.jpg

In total our bathroom refresh has cost a little over $1700 and it is now one of our favourite spaces in our home, where previously it was a room to get in and out of asap.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them for you.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom refresh

Hello @tom_builds,

What an amazing transformation. Thank you so much for sharing your photos, materials, and steps taken to remodel your bathroom. It's great to know that such a renewal is possible and does not need to cost a great deal. I'm sure this project will inspire a lot of our members and those thinking of remodeling their own bathroom. 

Thank you again for sharing this wonderful project, we look forward to seeing more.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bathroom refresh

Wonderful project. Many thanks for sharing @tom_builds. We've featured it on our Project Gallery so it gets the attention it deserves and inspires plenty of Workshop members in the future.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects