Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom reno ceiling ideas?

Henski
Cultivating a Following

Bathroom reno ceiling ideas?

Hi, I’m after some thoughts and advice.

we are in a mid floor 2 bedroom unit and are planning a bathroom and toilet reno but am stuck on what to do with the room ceilings. Currently it has old, daggy, white aerorated chipboard that is about 30cm below the upper unit slab. See pics:

E026B8C3-4ECB-4A76-B81D-20DFC0E50CE2.jpegD7E3F778-63DC-4C9C-95F8-89E3DBE925CD.jpeg

it has to go, but what to replace it with? I’m semi keen to keep the current leds but that is it.
its grey concrete above the chipboard, the paint stops the edge of it so likely have to have a replacement ceiling that’s is inline with the old one + that space has a few electrical wires and junctions the leds plug into.

tx in advance

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Bathroom reno ceiling ideas?

Hi  @Henski 

To start you off thinking look at   https://www.bunnings.com.au/brands/e/easycraft

Those panel clearly lift up and  are replacable so why not simply keep the existing hanging system White strips and  insert new panels cut to size as long as the new panels dont sag,  I dont know if you will need an electrician to swap those  leds over as most led bulbs are  user  replacable like replacing a  light bulb as you will need to disconnect them to fit through new cut out circle in the new roof.

Well there is the standard gyprock roof and I like the roofs  with soft   hidden led lights around the outside.

Good luck with your search  oh  your original tiles are designed to help sound  proof too  if thats a consideration.

Henski
Cultivating a Following

Tx, will check out

Henski
Cultivating a Following

I’m a bit overwhelmed by the choices, do u know product type is commonly used for bathroom ceilings?

Hi @Henski 

The  most common   roof lining would be gyprock.  Other materials can be used.

FYI  For you to consider a bathroom roof panel is exposed to steam and ultimatly needs to be mold and water resistant as I cant see any exhaust fans  in the roof only the windows for ventilation. Paint can be used as normal barrier like on gyprock.

Well  you know you dont like the current  roof tiles as a starter.

So I think  the secret to to look at  bathroom examples you do like to try in displays or online bathroom examples  because you are right too many alternate choices. Plan A Go  with your favourite  so you will be happy and begin exploring  what's need to achieve this. 

But in the mean while

Plan  B Currently you have roofing tiles that sit in a white frame a DIY (and at need electrician for the lights ) would  be to take those roof panels down and replace them with new panels you can put together yourself and cut led holes the right size.

Diy could be easycraft examples  or 

Bunnings QuickBoard™ 250 x 7.5mm 4.8m Ceiling Lining Board Cedar Composite VJ - 10 Pack  I/N: 0034985  $471  does 12m squared  Will not rot and great for ceilings.

Plan C is the complete  removal of the current White frame which would be suspended or attached to the  concrete slab above. then the skys the limit on your new  creative roof  but this is heading  into more pro roofer  territory as a new frame  will be need.  There is probably many obsticals  above your roof  space  in the 30cm space un seen so raising the roof height might be out.?

But first  discover what you  like  at least a style and see what it takes to achieve this.

Hi @Henski

It's great that you've received good advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend measuring the size of the panel in your bathroom. The most common tiles available at the store are the Siniat 1200 x 600 x 10mm Ceiling Tile Vinyl Smooth and the Gyprock CSR 591 x 1191 x 10mm White Freshtone Diamond Ceiling Tile. If you happen to need larger tiles, they might have to be specially ordered at the special orders desk. 

I also suggest asking if the tiles are suitable for high-moisture areas such as bathrooms and laundries. Your other option involves getting a builder to make a timber ceiling frame for you. You can then install traditional materials to create your bathroom ceiling. But between the two replacing your ceiling tiles would be the more cost-effective method.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects