Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom renovation ideas wanted

michael_s
Getting Established

Bathroom renovation ideas wanted

Hi all,
I'm looking at updating our bathroom to better suit our new lifestyle (2 kids under 2 so no more spa baths. Haha).
My wife and I would like to:
1. Replace the spa with a frameless shower
2. Update the vanity for a double
3. Put in a new mirror(s) or re-purpose the existing
4. Re-tile walls and floor
5. Fit in a bath tub, if possible

6. Keep plumbing as is as much as possible (but we are flexible depending on pricing)

A few questions on which we would appreciate some input:
1. Is it difficult/expensive to update the plumbing from a single vanity to a double?
2. Can we realistically fit a shower and bath tub in there? Happy to consider mini tubs (it'll be for the kids mainly)
3. Floor to ceiling tiles or is that over the top?
4. What would be a realistic budget? I can do basic things myself (painting, wall tiles, remove old tiles, etc.) but will leave some things to the professionals.

Attached are some photos of our bathroom (pardon the mess) as well as a diagram showing dimensions.

Dimensions.JPG20200409_084732_resized.jpg20200409_084721_resized.jpg20200409_084716_resized.jpg20200409_084706_resized.jpg

coffeerequired
Growing in Experience

Re: Bathroom renovation ideas

I’m no tradesman but I believe you could fit a shower and tub In there. Its not expensive to change to a double vanity. I would work out your layout and chat to a plumber incase you need further changes to fit everything you need. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @michael_s. Many thanks for your questions, I'm glad to see you have already received some helpful advice.

Moving water inlets and drainage can become expensive. The existing plumbing for the single should be adequate for the double, obviously with the addition of hardware to connect both sinks.

A shower and full-size tub would be a tight fit. Once again we need to be aware of moving drainage and plumbing, factoring those into our budget. Let me tag in @redracer01 our resident design expert to see if he is able to contribute some ideas.

Aesthetically floor to ceiling tiles will look pleasing. Is it over the top, that depends on what you want to achieve style-wise? Consideration would also need to be made of your budget. On the topic of budget, that is really a variable thing. The majority of it comes down to your selections of tiles, fixtures and how many trades you need to employ.

A couple of topics which you may find beneficial viewing are Bathroom renovation in an old homeDiary of a bathroom renovation.

There is also a great selection of inspirational videos on our site D.I.Y bathroom makeovers.

I'm sure our ever-helpful and creative community members will haven't plenty to contribute to your bathroom renovation. If you have any questions or need advice, please let me know.

Mitchell

MitchellMc_0-1587251843359.gif

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Many thanks @coffeerequired 

Many thanks @MitchellMc 

Those links are very helpful (and inspirational). Also thanks for the tag.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let me also tag the wonderful @ProjectPete on this one as he has plenty of bathroom renovation experience. 

Looking forward to seeing what you can achieve with your project @michael_s

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
michael_s
Getting Established

Thanks @Jason 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Bathroom renovation ideas wanted

Hello @michael_s 

I saw this question in April but could not generate a good idea for the layout. Now that I have had a second look at it, it all came together! However If I am too late please enjoy the pictures. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

MichaelS1.jpgMichaelS2.jpgMichaelS3.jpgMichaelS4.jpgMichaelS5.jpgMichaelS6.jpgMichaelS7.jpgScreenshot_2020-10-05 Caroma 1500mm Classic Bath.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

@redracer01, that is beautiful! Thanks so much!

You are not too late (VIC lock downs have hampered a fair bit of my efforts to get things done around the house) so your tremendous efforts will certainly be put to good use. We had given up on the idea of a bathtub and considered converting a store room at the back of the house into a second bathroom with tub but perhaps we don't need to.

Did you use SketchUp to create that layout? We are also looking at revamping our kitchen (being stuck indoors gets you thinking ...).

Hello @michael_s 

I hope the family enjoyed the ideas. Yes its all Sketchup2017! If you would like a few ideas for your kitchen please start a new thread with pics and measurements. I will be more than happy do a drawing for you.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects