Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom renovation with new bath and shower

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Bathroom renovation with new bath and shower

We've been renovating the bathroom since 2020 but been slowed down by COVID, time, and family. This is where I left off:

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Bathroom-and-Laundry/Bathroom-renovation-project-Knock-em-do...

As it stands all that needs to be done is finishing off is 3 sheets if Seratone, plastering and painting of walls, flooring, and the mirror to be connected to power.

Materials

Elephant plaster board

Seratone

GIB screws

Selleys No More Nails

Tools

Drop saw

Drill Driver

Nail gun

Rail Saw

Multitool

Steps

Step 1

IMG_0819.jpeg

IMG_0823.jpeg

The bath frame was pretty simple. Just a box with supports for the base. Once built and bath inserted we were able to get area cut to cut out in order to recess bath. This allows the water to flow into the side of the bath rather than into the wall.

Once the bath was in place we needed to get the Seratone installed along one wall in order to progress. The plan was to get the bath up and running so we had something to use while we pushed on with the shower.

Step 2

IMG_0841.jpeg

IMG_0874.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0877.jpeg

IMG_0880.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpeg

IMG_0886.jpeg

IMG_0887.jpeg

IMG_0889.jpeg

IMG_0890.jpeg

IMG_0891.jpeg

IMG_0892.jpeg

I made templates using scrap MDF in order to see if the fit was right. I regret using those templates to mark out the Seratone though. I should have just measured everything directly to the board because I had a miserable time marking, cutting, marking, trimming, blah blah blah. Luckily it was trimming because it was not enough cut off. Would have sucked if it was the other way around. 🤣

I started to use a GIB lifter to hold the sheets up while I waited for the glue to dry. The problem with this is the need for the compressor to be running all night. So I ended up using framing timber and packing it out with blocks that we use in the fire place.

I was tempted to cut up to the toilet but it was a pain in the butt doing around the bath so I figured it would be easier to just remove the toilet and cut around the pipe. I was right. 😈

Step 3

IMG_0894.jpeg

IMG_0896.jpeg

IMG_0897.jpeg

IMG_0898.jpeg

IMG_0899.jpeg

IMG_0906.jpeg

IMG_0945.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

With the bath in it just needed the plumber to come in and install the shower. First we had to remove the old shower which is why the bath needed to be up and running first.

The plumber needed to get access to the back of the shower so removing the old shower had to be done. So more demolishing was needed. I like this stage a lot.

Once again I needed to make a cutout in the GIB to allow for drainage into the tray rather than the wall.

Plumbers came in after a couple of false starts, one of which was me finally getting COVID. That was actually a pain because we were going to go on holiday which would have allowed the plumbers to come in and work without hinderance.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: So close but not quite there

Amazing progress @woodenwookie! It's looking good now! 

I can't wait to see your finished results. Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects