Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best drill bit for vitreous china (WC)?

bazzyboy
Cultivating a Following

Best drill bit for vitreous china (WC)?

What's the best drill bit to drill a 5mm hole into the 15mm-thick side of a vitreous china WC (toilet tank) or toilet tank cover. Once drilled, I'll insert a flexible water tube through the hole to connect the water outlet inside the WC to the bidet using a T adapter (3-way valve.)

20220225_181207.jpg

20220225_181151.jpg

20220225_181122.jpg

20220225_181109.jpg

20220225_182917.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Drill bit for vitreous china (WC)

Hi @bazzyboy

I suggest using QEP 6mm Diamond Tile Drill Bit. It includes a drill guide and a water cooling cup. It's great for cutting holes in glass, ceramic, porcelain, marble and granite. My number one tip is to never run it dry and always use the water chamber provided. The water keeps the head of the cutting bit nice and cool and prevents it from overheating.

It will take time when drilling through such a thick substance. I recommend not rushing the cutting process. Pushing too hard or running the drill bit at high speed could possibly crack the porcelain. Keep a good steady speed and let the drill bit do all the work.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your bidet ready for use. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bazzyboy
Cultivating a Following

Thanks so much, Eric. I've bought this drill bit and will be tackling the job on Sunday. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @bazzyboy and don't hesitate to reach out if you run into any issues.

Mitchell

bazzyboy
Cultivating a Following

Re: Best drill bit for vitreous china (WC)?

Yay, it's done! For a 6mm pipe I decided to use an 8mm drill bit, which gave a perfect fit. 6mm would have been too small.

QEP 8mm Diamond Tile Drill Bit

I/N: 6820161

It was very useful to know to take it slow and steady. I used a cordless drill - an inexpensive XU1.

The only fail was that the double-sided adhesive that came with the drill bit (to hold the guide container in place) was not adhering to the smooth porcelain and the container went spinning as soon as I started drilling and splashed water all over! Luckily, I had ordered waterproof nano tape from Amazon recently and that was put to good use for this project. 

20220314_224315.jpg

20220314_224418.jpg

  

20220314_231428.jpg

Screenshot_20220315-001947_Amazon Shopping.jpg

  

bazzyboy
Cultivating a Following

Had I been even more patient, used a lower torque setting on the drill, and not applied occasional force I could have had a cleaner hole on the outside. It was very fulfilling to see the drill bit come out of the other end after more than 15 minutes of drilling. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm pleased to hear that your project has been successful, @bazzyboy. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you ever need assistance with a project or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bazzyboy 

It's great to hear that you've managed to drill through the ceramic wall of the cistern. You made good time by drilling through in 15 minutes. It usually takes longer at slow speed. But the important thing is that you've managed to provide access to your bidet hose. Would it be possible for you to show us the three-way connection for the bidet hose? I'm sure our members who are in a similar situation would be keen to see how you attached it.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your bidet seat working.

Eric

bazzyboy
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric, please see attached images of the  3-way connection- one inlet and 2 outlets. The 3-way connector was supplied by the Sydney- based bidet distributor after I told him about the available water source and what I wanted to do. Happy to send any other information you or others may need to install a bidet.

20220327_221108.jpg

20220327_221035.jpg

20220327_221138.jpg

Hi there, I'm in a similar dilemma having to drill into my cistern porcelain. I was wondering where can I get that 3 way connector and the 6mm pipe/tube ( and the fittings required for it?)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects