Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to remove old tile mortar?

JQT
Just Starting Out

Best way to remove old tile mortar?

Hello,

What is the best way to remove the old tile mortar before re-tiling the section of my laundry? Using a chisel and hammer is taking too long. is there any chemical/solution to help soften. Thanks.

20211125_124944.jpg20211125_124957.jpg20211125_124936.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best way to remove old tile mortar?

Hello @JQT

Have you considered using a Hart 115mm Brick Bolster? Its wide head should speed up the removal of the old tile glue. However, if the glue has petrified and is like rock, I suggest hiring a Coates Jack Hammer Trolley. Please be aware that this is a powerful tool and can easily damage your concrete floor or cement liner. If you wish to get your own tool there is the Full Boar 1050W 7kg SDS Max Demolition Hammer Kit. My best recommendation is the Ozito 125mm 5" Angle Grinder Kit in combination with DTA 125mm Dual Row Grinding Disc.

I strongly suggest using a Monarch 2.6 x 3.6m Blue Plastic Drop Sheet to prevent the dust and debris from spreading around the rest of the house. I recommend using Bear Disposable Paint Mask With Active Carbon Filter And Valve - 2 Pack in combination with Protector Wide Vision Safety Goggles to protect yourself. Unfortunately, chemical removal only works on very thin layers of glue adhesive. It sounds like a fantastic laundry renovation project. Any updates you can provide would be highly appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects