Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I change a cistern to update a toilet?

Joan_J
Growing in Experience

Can I change a cistern to update a toilet?

Hi! I have purchased a house that was built in the 90s and the toilets are really worn. The actual toilet that connect into the floor just needs a good clean and can be saved, but the cistern and toilet seat have to go. 

The current cistern is a Fowler brand - can I purchase this and replace the toilet seat and cistern myself? https://www.bunnings.com.au/estilo-white-replacement-cistern-with-seat_p4870330

Or would I need a plumber to install? And can I replace the old cistern with a different brand, or will they not work together? 

Thank you in advance! 
Photo of current toilet for reference.

67F289BE-5828-465F-854A-865284D4B92D.jpeg

0C31D0FC-9019-428B-9B5D-9CFB536238F4.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I change a cistern to update a toilet?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Joan_J. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Your toilet seat and cistern can be replaced with an Estilo White Replacement Cistern With Seat. The new cistern does not need to be the same brand as the old one. Replacing a cistern would be consider plumbing work and it is best to enlist the help of a licensed plumber to perform it. Repairing taps or showerheads and replacing washers are D.I.Y. jobs.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Joan_J
Growing in Experience

Re: Can I change a cistern to update a toilet?

Thank you Mitchell, that makes perfect sense - Good to know I only have to replace the seat and cistern rather than the entire toilet :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects