Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I connect washing machine to sink?

RJO
Just Starting Out

Can I connect washing machine to sink?

Kia ora, I’m hoping to connect a washing machine to a sink in the basement. 

I've tested the sink and it seems to work fine. It's not used for anything else so I'm wondering whether the washer hoses could connect to the taps, and the wastewater pipe could connect to the sink drain? There’s a working outlet above the sink. 

There's also another set of taps above the sink, but only one has a handle to turn and the water that came out looked dirty. 

The property is a rental so I can't make any major changes. I don't know much about plumbing so I'd love advice on whether this is possible, and if it's something I could do myself.

IMG_7515.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I connect washing machine to a sink?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RJO. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a washing machine.

It sounds entirely possible to connect your washing machine here. The higher taps are connected to the same water source as the lower ones, so I would just run them into a bucket to eliminate any debris. Connect your inlet hoses here once they flow clear water, as they already have threaded fittings. It will be a real pain trying to connect to the lower taps as there is no way to screw on your washing machine hoses.

Once the washer is connected, you just need to turn the taps on and not touch them again. Use a set of pliers to turn the tap on without a handle.

Regarding the waste pipe, see that white pipe under the sink? Can you check to see if there is a little white spigot with a barb coming off it? Also, check to see if this spigot is drilled out inside it. Your waste hose pushes onto it and needs a clamp to hold it in place. If there is no spigot I suggest screwing one of these U-brackets into the timber right next to the sink. The bracket will hold your waste pipe and direct it into the sink.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects