Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I render straight over copper pipes and electrical cables?

AlyssaKate
Finding My Feet

Can I render straight over copper pipes and electrical cables?

Hi - I’ve had new copper pipes, PVC drain pipe and electrical cables chased into the brick wall of my bathroom that I’m renovating. I can’t find a straight answer about whether it’s best to add a covering before rendering or rendering straight over the pipes/cables. I’ve read that cement (in the rendering mix) can be corrosive to certain materials. There is also a big space where the PVC drain pipe was added so it’ll be hard to add render without something filling the space.
I’ve added some photos below. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Can I render straight over copper pipes and electrical cables?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @AlyssaKate. It's a pleasure having you join us and we hope you find the site a handy resource for all your home improvement and garden projects.

Thanks for your question. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to assist as soon as he can.

In the meantime, let me tag our ever-helpful members @Jewelleryrescue@JDE@CSParnell and @MrSober to see if they have any thoughts. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @AlyssaKate

I dont specifically re call and rendering rules over power/ plumbing. 

Render will not corrode wires or plastic.

The main thing when cover in wires is to make sure it is pinned well flat agaisnt wall so the render depth isnt weakened.  Ideally I would have wires in conduit in case of future access but it dosnt look like you have the depth for that in the brick check outs?  I might be tempted to cut some trunking to protect wires and render a screw top and bottom into  bricks should suffice IF possible.  Or measure brick dimentions at the narrowest for the trunking of a smaller size.(Trunking  Is rectangle  box and clip on  lid.)  This also gives rendering a better protection too.

The issue I feel is any on moving the cables or pipes at the top or bottom is staring to weak render at those points if it is fixed directly  in wall with no support I hope electricity at the ends come  out into a  gpo or something to allow some movement and cable managment.

The PVC pipe in the larger cavity I might see if it is  possible to  cover the pipe so the full cavity  dosnt need to be filled fully.  You want at least 30mm render on a solid base.

The old way was to pack around the pipe  with newspaper to fill the void  a new  way might be expanding foam that hardens  and can be shaped.  If  any others  here  have succeeded at that chime in please.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@Akanksha Yes it can but AS300 stipulates a few requirements that will need to be consulted with an Electrical Contractor if you are to comply, keep safe and not void your insurance.

You will also need maintain separation between services once again it is in AS300 and can be consulted with your Plumbing contractor and Electrician. 

Sorry can't be much more help than that Electrical and Plumbing working  isn't a DIY project.

Hi @AlyssaKate 

Clearly that electrical work and  plumbing  has being installed proffessionally  if @CSParnell  right  they failed and  badly let there proffession down not completing there task to  code  in an obvious render situation now the house holder left in limbo as to completion.

Rendering is  DIY  luckily as a last step at least

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @AlyssaKate 

Reading @Jewelleryrescue  and @CSParnell  were saying I thought they had covered my line of thinking but then I was looking back over the photos and saw the power cables sitting in that chased section without being in conduit (solid or corrorgated) From memory they need to be mechanically protected and filling over with render is not part of that. 

Admittidly I havnt read the current Australian Rules but id be hesitant to render over it. 

Renderring over the copper water pipes I have in the back of my head as something about corrosive  and long term effects on copper. but cant tag it down 😕 sorry

Id err on the side of caution and get a sparky and plumber to have a squiz.

Dave

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@Dave-1 I had a quick look through the latest standards before answering the question and yeah consulting qualified Contractors is required unfortunately.

I'd love to be able to say hey yeah just do this and do that but under my concious and qualifications I couldn't give out information that in turn cause undue harm or damage to property and I'm sure Bunnings Workshop would agree.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@CSParnell 

Yep, exactly what I was thinking. If Im sutre of something I suggest it, if I am not, well I will say so. No shame in acknowledging we dont know everything :smile: Would be a boring place if that was the case.

I almost went and had a look I must admit, Mmm Now were is my Australian rule book?  You have me thinking where did I store it! lol

Dave

Thanks @Jewelleryrescue @CSParnell @Dave-1 for all your responses. The plumbing and electrical work was all completed by professional plumbers/electricians. I originally planned to pay a renderer/plasterer to complete the work and he said that he just goes straight over them. Seemed odd to me! I will get in contact with my electrical and ask them to put something over the cabling to protect it. 

Thanks!

Hi @AlyssaKate,

It looks like you've received some helpful advice. At a minimum, it appears the cables should be run in conduit. Once that work has been rectified, you'll be free to render over the conduit. For the PVC pipe, you'll need to use a small trowel to pack mortar around the back of the pipe, fixing it in position. Once the mortar has set and the pipe is stabilised, you'll be free to render over it.

Please let us know how you go and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects