Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I replace my unused laundry tub with a dishwasher?

mhlane
Getting Established

Can I replace my unused laundry tub with a dishwasher?

Hi, I currently have a washing machine and a laundry sink (and cabinet) in an alcove in the kitchen. I believe that it is generally a requirement to have a laundry sink, but that people have been allowed not to have one if there is another sink readily available (e.g. if the laundry area is co-located with the kitchen or bathroom). Can anyone confirm this and/or offer advice on replacing the laundry sink with a dishwasher? Thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I replace my unused laundry tub with a dishwasher?

Hello @mhlane 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your dishwasher.

According to the NCC National Construction Code under Performance Requirements a laundry sink must be provided for dirty water. An example is when you are getting rid of water from your mop bucket. If you were to use your kitchen sink as a dumping point for the dirty water. It is considered unhygienic to wash your vegetables where you throw your dirty water in. Hence the rule states that these two types of sinks must be separate.

However, I suggest posting a full picture of your kitchen with your laundry included. This will give our members a chance to assess your kitchens layout. We might be able to make recommendations regarding configuration.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mhlane
Getting Established

Hmm. Thank you. I can understand that logic, but as you can see from the photos, I wouldn't throw any dirty water down the laundry sink as we have covered it and the microwave is sitting on top! I eould take dirty water to the bathroom next door and dispose of it there (or outside).

So, here are some kitchen photos. For context, the house is 119 years old. The section to the left of the washing machine is an enclosed fireplace cavity that we would like to open up/use at some point if possible. 

The wall to the right of the microwave has what we call the "pass", or a servery window (originally an external window) that again, we would like to preserve if possible. But we are open to ideas and suggestions!

20230608_221530.jpg

20230608_221620.jpg

20230608_221632.jpg

20230608_223008.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mhlane,

It seems my colleague has identified that a dirty water sink is a stipulation in the NCC. So, in answer to your question, you can't replace it with a dishwasher. I totally understand that you wouldn't use the kitchen sink for dirty water, but the requirements are there to stop people from taking the easiest option, which is using the closest sink. I know that seems a little over the top, especially since your current laundry sink isn't in use, but those are the rules.

It sounds like opening up the fireplace would be your best option. You'd then have the space for the dishwasher and the required sink. The other option is you might be able to squeeze the washing machine and dishwasher side-by-side in the current opening and swap the laundry sink out for a slimline version. That would be a rather tight fit, though. What's the width of that space?

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mhlane 

Thank you very much for the kitchen photos. I would like to propose a re-orienting of the funds you were about to spend on your laundry tub project. Looking at the third photo of your kitchen, I recommend removing the 450mm 4 drawer cabinet, the 250mm open side cabinet and your open pantry. I suggest replacing them with the dishwasher a 600mm 3 drawer cabinet, a microwave cabinet a 900mm and 800mm wall cabinet.

The wall cabinets will now serve as the storage area, your microwave can now be taken off the laundry tub and you get a much larger drawer for plates and accessories. The benchtop of course will need to be linked to your existing benchtop. But once you have enough funds for a benchtop revamp you can replace the existing split set.

I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of what it could look like with the added cabinetry. Please tell me what you think.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

mhlane kitchen1.jpgmhlane kitchen2.jpgmhlane kitchen3.jpg

mhlane
Getting Established

Thanks @MitchellMc, but opening the fireplace won't help as it is half obscured by the fridge (which has nowhere else to go unless we do a complete renovation.

Your second option is a possibility, but sounds like a lot of work and $ to get a dishwasher in an inconvenient place and an unwanted, and fairly useless, small sink, just to tick a box! We might need to think about a bigger renovation sooner...

mhlane
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL, I appreciate the diagrams (very cool!) and I hadn't thought of that option. It is also a possibility, but - and sorry if it wasn't clear from my photos or description - there is a doorway to the left of the open pantry, so we couldn't have cabinetry to the same depth as the current cabinets or it would obscure entry to the kitchen. Also, we don't currently have any upper cabinets on that wall (though I'm not averse to it), and again if we were going to remodel that bit, it would probably be better to do a bigger renovation to address some of the other issues (eg benchtops too low for tall family, poor use of space in laundry area, desire for hanging laundry section behind doors, any opportunity to reinstate original stove, wall oven rather than under bench oven, drawers rather than cupboards, etc!)... I had hoped that replacing the laundry sink with a dishwasher might be a quick interim step to save backache when washing up bit short of getting a counter top dishwasher (and needing to find it somewhere to sit!), I'm not sure there is any workable option.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mhlane 

It occurred to me that you do have one more option. I propose removing the 4 drawer cabinet and the 250mm open side cabinet. This will give you enough space to put the dish washer in. Everything else will stay the same except for the addition of 2 x 600mm 3 drawer cabinets in the middle which will serve as your island.

The best part is that you can construct this island with wheels at the bottom, which will allow you to move it out of the way if you want to.

I've placed some sample sketches below to give you an idea of what it could look like.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

mhlane
Getting Established

Thanks, I really like this option. It would be good to have a dishwasher near the sink too! So we will explore it a bit more. Thank you for your help!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects