Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can the bathroom fan extract into the roof space?

darrengrant66
Just Starting Out

Can the bathroom fan extract into the roof space?

IMG_7759.png

Hi There 

Hope you can help, I’ve just had two extractor fans fitted in our bathroom and guest toilet ,

the issue I have is that they are not extracting out of the roof but into the roof space is this the norm in Western Australia and may it cause an issue in the Roof space ,

thank you in advance for all and any help and advice you may give .

Darren 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: bathroom Extractor fan

Afternoon @darrengrant66 

I do like your question as years ago I had the same type of question in mind. Welcome to the bunnings community, its the perfect place for questions, project info and so many ideas its not funny!

As far as I know most extraction fans for bathrooms/toilets exhaust fans are into the roof space. (The two places I have had both types of fans exhaust into the roof cavity. For the toilet no probs, for the bathroom I think that the roof space must be so big and the potetial steam isnt classed as a problem. 

I am from NSW btw.

I dont see it causing any issue and have not seen any issue arrising from them.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: can the bathroom fan extract into the roof space?

Hello @darrengrant66 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your bathroom extractor fan.

I've observed pretty much the same thing as @Dave-1 in regards to exhaust fans. They often exit out to the ceiling cavity. Now if you are asking, does the air in the ceiling cavity get out? The answer is yes, but it will get out faster if you have roofing ventilation installed. 

In regards to the local rules and regulations, I suggest checking with your local council and finding out if ducting is necessary for bathrooms and toilets.

It's a totally different affair of course when it comes to a kitchen exhaust fan. The smoke that gets pumped out often has oil and grease mixed in with the steam so it's important that it gets directed outside so that it does not contaminate the insulation in your roof.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

Re: Can the bathroom fan extract into the roof space?

Every bathroom exhaust fan I have ever encountered has extracted into the roof space void, apart from earlier Victorian era homes which featured ventilation slats under the apex of the roof line I also see the odd turbine roof vents (a great idea in warmer climates), the only issues I note (with exhaust fans) are occasional debris (and cold drafts) from the roof space making it's way into the ventilated space and thus prefer the use of fans featuring back draft shutters like the Deta 250mm. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects