Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you lay vinyl floor planks over existing tiles?

chrisway
Finding My Feet

Can you lay vinyl floor planks over existing tiles?

I would like to know if I can lay the vinyl floor tiles over my bathroom tiles. Thank you

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: vinyl floor planks

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @chrisway! We're so pleased that you've joined us. 

This video shows you how you can lay vinyl plank flooring. Let me tag @redracer01 and @MitchellMc who might have some advice for you on what sort of products you might need to for this project. Feel free to pop back and ask any more questions you might have. We're here to help.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful

Thank you. 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @chrisway,

As long as the tiles are in good condition, flat, and there are no hollow or drummy tiles, then you can lay hybrid vinyl flooring directly over them. They are 100% waterproof and ideal for use in bathrooms and laundries. If you are not sure if your tiles are in good enough condition, you might like to share some images with us so we can provide feedback.

I look forward to following along with your project and would encourage you to let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks, I want to use the stick on vinyl planks so I’ll need to level the floor I guess. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It would be worth considering if the additional cost of priming, self-levelling, priming again, and the stick-on product itself would come close to using hybrid vinyl, @chrisway. Here's the installation guide for the stick-on vinyl, which takes you through the process to level tiles.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Yes thank you I have used the stick on many times but thought I’d like to do the bathrooms. Here is a pic of my floor I’ve just finished. Over Masonite. 

846DAD15-7B79-49AE-9156-403EC680E331.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects