Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint electric indoor hot water tank?

jamiem
Just Starting Out

Can you paint electric indoor hot water tank?

Hi all,

im about to start doing a diy Reno on my dark laundry, in the corner we have our electric hot water tank which is grey and I will be painting the walls and tiles white as is the rest of the house, I have been thinking is it possible to roller or spray paint the hot water system so it doesn’t look so out of place, it’s only relatively new so won’t be removing it.

thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: can you paint electric indoor hot water tank

Hello @jamiem 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about painting your HWC.

Can you please tell me what brand your HWC is? I'll make some inquiries for you and find out if it is possible to coat the existing top-coat of the cylinder. I only worry that the constant warm heat will soften the paint and make it peel off.

My other suggestion is to cover it with a timber panel so that it is out of sight. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your laundry? Perhaps we can offer suggestions on how to disguise your hot water cylinder.

If you need a hand posting the pictures, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can you paint electric indoor hot water tank?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jamiem. We look forward to reading more about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden.  

I would also like to add to Eric's reply that there could be safety concerns with painting the unit and the best source of information is going to be the unit's manufacturer. I do think that screening it, such as building it into a cupboard, might be the best option. You might like to check out how Workshop member @Benskimo completed a laundry reno incorporating their hot water system.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Benskimo
Making a Splash

Re: Can you paint electric indoor hot water tank?

Thanks for the add @Jason , and hi @jamiem . Our hot water system was smack in the middle of the wall-space on one side of our modest-sized laundry. For our laundry renovation, we considered hiding it behind a panel... but I knew that whatever solution we went for, it would have to be removable, in case the system ever needed repair, maintenance, etc... So we just left it exposed. 

And I suppose my hot take is that even if you DID paint your hot water system to try to make it blend in... it'd still look like a hot water system! :wink: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects