Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Changing from a P-trap toilet to a S-trap toilet

nicole72
Growing in Experience

Changing from a P-trap toilet to a S-trap toilet

Purchasing a townhouse and this ugly pipe in the wall is enough to turn me off the whole place. I will be purchasing another toilet and i was hoping to find out if anyone knows whether i am able to do any of the following:-

1. Have it completely change from a P-trap to a S-trap toilet, such as cover up the whole in the wall and have it coming through the floor, which i will be ripping up the tiles and re-doing.

2. If i cannot change it, could i have a pipe running from the wall around to the back of the toilet, that way i could stick a plant or something there hahahaha to cover up the pipe running straight across..... yes yes i am OCD. The conversion kits are these for allowing what i have just explained about having the pipe run around the wall to the back of the toilet. 

3. If someone has any other suggestions, i will be totally greatful for.

Thank youP-Trap Toilet.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Changing from a P-trap toilet to a S-trap toilet

Hi @nicole72,

I'd imagine the piping was run like this in the first place due to some type of limitation. Even with the current layout, you could box the pipe in with timber and create a little flat surface for a plant.

Do you know if these walls are brick or perhaps timber frame with plasterboard over them? Advancement in technology would possibly allow the pipework to be run through the cavity if it is a timber-framed wall and there was enough room. I'm not sure of what the limitations were to resort to a skew trap pan and whether an S trap would be possible. You could potentially install a P trap pan and then do a 90-degree bend to run the pipe against the wall.

Once again, it might be worth getting a couple of quotes from a plumber on what you have suggested. They will be able to assess the situation, let you know why this style of pan was installed and what options are available to you.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nicole72
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell the place was built in the 80’s so not sure if that makes a difference. I am going to arrange for a plumber to come out because I need it changed somehow. I have never seen this system before so fingers crossed I can get it changed. Thanks again Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds like a great plan @nicole72.

Please keep us updated on your progress as I trust other members with a similar issue would like to see your solution.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @beccilee, apologies to @nicole72 this response should have gone to @beccilee

I am not sure if your plumber is giving you a good price for the installation of the new toilet, I did see that Bunnings offer to toilet replacement deal too, please see attached, might be helpful in comparing prices

https://www.bunnings.com.au/services/in-home/toilet-installation

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects