Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cost of removing and replacing bathtub?

Renovation
Just Starting Out

Cost of removing and replacing bathtub?

We'd like to remove bathtub and put washing machine in that place.

How much it would cost? 

Property: Unit at Carlton, NSW 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: cost of removing buthtub

Hi @Renovation 

I think you best bet here is to  call on a plumbers service as you need to replumb from  bath tub connections to wall fitting and taps for washing machine.

Some councils will allow you to call them and they will pick up your old bathtub. If its plastic  i  might cut it up and put it in recycling bin.  other wise you might be up for disposal costs too. But I am pretty sure the plumber can get it out of the units if anyone  can.

For  a rough absolute guess $500  but I am out of touch re plumbers cost these days.  Best to phone around.

Good luck hope you plans arnt to pricy

Renovation
Just Starting Out

Thank you so quickly for your kind reply. We will follow your advice.

Best regards

Hi @Renovation 

I just had another out of the box idea That may suit you better.

What if you had a small  front loading washing machine siting on a  sturdy ply 19mm thick  board with some foam under it sitting on the  bath edges and you will need to take bath spout off and add   screwed connection to match you washer inlet. 

Just  have it as a cold water setup ie one  inlet (you can always add hot water to you wash by turning on hot or cold water bath taps.

This way your not permanatly altering you  bathroom plumbing.

Hello @Renovation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about removing your bath.

It's wonderful that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I agree with the recommendation of calling in a registered plumber, however, before calling them in this would be the perfect opportunity for you to plan out the ideal location for your washing machine taps. Plus you'll also need to consider the position of the water outlet for your washing machine. 

Some of the other things that you'll need to consider are tiling and painting the area that the bathtub originally occupied. But if you are planning on renovating your bathroom at some time in the future, then I would hold off on the cosmetic repair and just make it workable until you do your revamp.

Just in case you have a garden on your property, I would like to suggest the possibility of recycling your bath into either a fish/frog pond or a garden bed. If it is a metal-type bath you can even use it as a heated spa outside.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects