Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cracks on the door hinge area - Vanity

clauzz
Finding My Feet

Cracks on the door hinge area - Vanity

Can you please advise on how to fix the crack on the door hinge area? and if Bunnings has this type of door hinges?

Many thanks! vanity1.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cracks on the door hinge area - Vanity

Hi @clauzz,

You'll need to remove the hinge first, but whist you do that it might be worth taking both of them off removing the door. You'll need to fill and repair the damaged portion before being able to install the hinge again.

Sand the flaking chipboard and laminate with 180 grit sandpaper, being careful not to damage the surrounding laminate. Fill the holes with Selleys Liquid Nails Clear Construction Adhesive, then let it cure fully.  Apply Turbo Builders Bog over the damaged area waiting for it to cure and sand flat once again. You can then paint the area a similar colour to the cupboard disguising the repair. Once this process is complete, re-drill the fixing holes and install the hinges into the solid material.

I've added a D.I.Y Advice video on How to install cabinet hinges below. I trust it proves helpful to you.

We do stock that type of hinge and if you take it into your nearest store they will be able to match it up for you. However, from the picture the hinge doesn't look damaged it just appears the chipboard is so disintegrated it won't hold screws anymore.

If you need further advice on the installation of the hinges or have any questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects