Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Creating our dream D.I.Y. bathroom

homeinmelbourne
Becoming a Leader

Our main bathroom was dated, small and had all the original features from when the house was built. We set out to design a bathroom from scratch as part of our full house renovation. From working out how to fit a bathtub, shower and vanity in a small space to selecting all the products and finishes to create a light, bright and clean look. We completed almost every aspect of the bathroom renovation ourselves over a couple months. The only trade we employed was a plumber who roughed in the new plumbing. What was once a dated, pink bathroom is now a light and bright space.

Details below on how we completed our dream D.I.Y. bathroom renovation and what we used:

AFTER 1.png

AFTER 3.png

AFTER 2.png

AFTER 5.png

AFTER 4JPG.JPG

Before Photos:

before 1.JPG

before 2.jpg

before 3.jpg

before orig.jpg

Details on how we completed our dream D.I.Y. bathroom renovation and what we used:

We started by demolishing the whole bathroom: removing the tiles and linoleum flooring, removing the plasterboard and villaboard walls, dismantling the old vanity and sink, removing the glass shower screen divider and removing the old corner spa bath.

demo old spa bath.JPG

Once the corner spa bath was removed, we had to cut the slab for new plumbing wastes for both the new bathtub and the floor waste for the bathroom. 

cutting slab for plumbing waste.jpg

demo blank canvas.JPG

Cut the slab to create a new waste location for the shower (previously where the old vanity was located).

shower waste.png

cutting slab for floor wastes.png

Once all the floor plumbing was done, we installed a Tile Over Shower Tray (Bellessi Tile Over Shower Tray from Bunnings) and Aluminium Angle (Metal Mate Aluminium Angle from Bunnings) in the doorway. We then screeded the whole bathroom floor ensuring that the screed bed falls towards the floor waste.

screeding.png

screed and shower base finished.JPG

mock up bathtub test fit.jpg

We installed additional studs in the wall for the shower screen mounting locations and studs for the pre-formed shower niche. We then called a plumber in to run new lines within the wall cavity and on the floor for the new bathroom layout.

plumbing.png

plumbing 2.jpg

We then lined the walls with James Hardie Villaboard from Bunnings. 

villaboard sheeting and niche.jpg

Test fitted the vanity for the height of the sink as well as width clearance between the bathtub spout and shower screen.

mocking up vanity placement.JPG

We applied gyprock in the joints and used mesh tape on the joints. Then we filled the screw holes and tape joints with gyprock. We followed a Bunnings YouTube how-to tutorial and continued it all the way around the room on all the villaboard lined walls.

• Gyprock, mesh tape and screws used were all from Bunnings.

filling villaboard screw holes and joints.jpg

We used Gripset Betta Easy Seal Bond Breaker on the wall joints and shower base joints and around the plumbing outlets.

We applied a primer to the whole room and applied Gripset Betta Under Tile Waterproofing Membrane.

waterproofing junctions.jpg

waterproofing outlets.JPG

waterproofing 2.JPG

waterproofing.JPG

Tiling was a tricky process but we learned a lot from our previous ensuite bathroom renovation. It also beneficial that we used the same exact tiles for both bathrooms. This time around we know how to perfectly cut each tile without breaking and wasting too many. The White Gloss wall tiles were easy to cut with a tile cutter (DTA 1000mm tile cutter from Bunnings) however the large format floor tiles were difficult and did not cut perfectly. So instead, we used a diamond blade and angle grinder to make each individual cut for the thicker floor tiles. Once the tiling was done, we grouted all tiled walls (details of the grout used below).

Tiling Details:

White Matte Kit Kat Mosaic Tiles: Facebook Marketplace

Wall Tiles: Bunnings - Duratile 300 x 600 mm White Gloss

Floor Tiles: Bunnings - Bellazza 600 x 600 mm Crema Tile

Tile Levelling Clips & Tile Spacers: Bunnings

White Grout: Bunnings - Davco

Grey Floor Grout: Bunnings - Dunlop

floor tiling.JPG

tiling 2.JPG

tiling kitkat mosaic wall.jpg

tiling kitkat wall.jpg

To tile around and inside the niche, we used the Gold L Shape Angle Tile Trim to box in the niche. It was much easier to install a trim piece than to cut a mitred edge on the tiles.

tiling.JPG

For the un-tiled wall to the left, we lined it with Gyprock Aquachek and decided to create a wainscot feature wall to add some character to the room instead of having all 4 walls with floor to ceiling tile. We didn't want the bathroom to feel boxed-in and it also allowed us to add a traditional element/interest to an otherwise modern bathroom. We installed new cornices around the bathroom, new window architraves, door architraves and bathroom door (all the same moulding as what was used for rest of the house). 

Plasterboard - Aquachek Plasterboard from Bunnings

Joint and Hole Filler - Gyprock Ultra-Top Topping Compound from Bunnings

Timber moulding from Bunnings
Undercoat Primer - British Paints 4 in 1 from Bunnings

Wall Paint - Dulux Vivid White Low Sheen from Bunnings
Ceiling Paint: Dulux White Ceiling +PLUS Kitchen and Bathroom

Caulking - Selleys No More Gaps Bathroom and Kitchen Gap Filler from Bunnings

wainscot wall panelling.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

Home stretch! We installed all the tapware, frameless shower screens, bathtub, vanity, mirror and other bathroom accessories over a weekend and had everything siliconed and ready to use the following week. We opted for all brass fittings and finishes so that all the metal finishes looked cohesive in the space.

Bathroom details:

Frameless Shower Screen: Frameless Direct

Brass shower hardware: Frameless Direct

Vanity and Vanity Top: IKEA

Round Sink: Bunnings

Sink Mixer Tap: Reece

Mirror: IKEA

Freestanding Bath: Reece

Floor-mounted Bath Spout: Reece

Macrame Plant Hanger: Denn Lane

Sheer Roller Blind: DIY Blinds

Wainscot Panelling: Bunnings

Wainscot panelling paint: Dulux from Bunnings

Ceiling paint: Dulux from Bunnings

Window and Door Architrave Moulding: Bunnings

Exhaust Fan: Arlec - Bunnings

Towel Rail: InStyle Bathware

Floor waste grates: Reece

Shower seal strip: Bunnings

Shower floor channel: Bunnings

shower screen installation.JPG

bath installation.JPG

wainscot wall hanging plant.png

wall sconces.png

Completed D.I.Y. Bathroom:

AFTER 1.png

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Re: Creating our dream D.I.Y. bathroom

@homeinmelbourne I have no words, just wow!! Firstly, thank you for providing so much detail in your bathroom renovation. I know many people will be very thankful if they are wanting to do something similar. 
Then transformation is amazing, right down to the last tile. You should be very proud of yourself. 
I wish you the best of luck with your DIY bathroom renovation entry. 

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

I thought your en suite reno was amazing but this is beyond amazing. You've managed to make both bathrooms gell by sticking to the same tile and colour but gave each one it's own statement accent features.

Tell the truth now, you're tradies?? ha-ha

Seriously though, this is outstanding work, well done.

Cheers,

Barbara

Wow thank you @sandy_d for your incredibly kind words!

I hope I was able to provide enough information in the post and hopefully it’s helpful for anyone wanting to do a similar bathroom makeover.

I’m new to the Bunnings Workshop community but I’m already loving it and so inspired by everyone’s creative and clever projects!

Thank you so much Barbara @Baretta11!

Nope unfortunately we aren’t tradies haha. We are newbie renovators and this is our first home.

I’m new to the Bunnings Workshop community but I’m already loving it and so inspired by everyone’s creative and clever projects. I wish I had found out about the workshop community sooner!

Thank you again for your comment and kind words! ☺️

You really will inspire so many people who have a dream but just don't know how to start and what to do.

I didn't have the benefit of the community workshop either but did join another really helpful forum called Houzz Australia some years ago and it really helped me to be able to look at literally 1000's of every room in the house options to see what I might like or dislike and slowly honed my ideas down to a dull roar if you ask my hubby!!

I do remember the one time I told hubby that I wanted to tile the bathrooms to the ceiling and he nearly had a coronary but he eventually got on board and I'm so happy I stuck to my ideas and the rest as they say is history ha-ha

Serioulsy don't underestimate what you have done as it is just awesome and it your project inspires just one DIY'er it will be worth it, although I predict it will snowball with all your step by step pics and your very detailed lists of where you bought all your things.

@homeinmelbourne   You certainly went above and beyond with your step by step guide and product listing. As @Baretta11 has stated, you really will inspire many wanting to take up their own bathroom DIY. Best of luck! 

Hi @homeinmelbourne

It's like straight out of a bathroom magazine feature. The attention to detail is just amazing, if this is your second effort at this, imagine what it will be like if you had a third bathroom! My favourite part is the floor-to-bath spout, you usually pay extra for this type of work but you've managed to pull it off beautifully. It is truly the most impressive bathroom makeover I've seen so far.

Good luck.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @EricL!

JoshC83
Having an Impact

OMG!! Amazing job mate I wish I owned my house or even had landlords that wanted to do a bathroom update like this it's pretty much the same size and placement as my current bathroom. You should be very proud you done a great job 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects